• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Any ideas on how to edit like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

negativespace

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Everyone!

I really want to achieve a certain look in my photos post processing and was hoping you'd be able to offer some advice :)

I take a variety of surf orientated images and some of my favourite surf type photographers have a very similar style of their editing, evidently every photo is different but these photographers seem to have a somewhat similar style of image and I was hoping people may be able to offer some form of idea of how they might go about their editing.

Photographers such as @filippomaffei @sebzanela @woodygphoto @nilpuissant and @michaeltownsend all take very different images but they seem to all have a similar style in terms of colouring/soft light type vibe to them.

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts about how they may edit (obviously they all go about it differently).

Thanks

I did take a look at them but they all have a different style. However, from a photographic view of point i found @nilpuisant the most interesting one.
Did you ask them what techniques they use? Lots of photographers are very transparent on it.

For a start, a lot of those photos look desaturated, a not uncommon style these days among many in the social media crowd. If I had to further guess, I would say they are using filters that emulate an "old film" look. Colors are somewhat pastel looking in addition to being desaturated (and somewhat lower in contrast). If they do not respond to your request(s), I'd suggest playing around and seeing if you can get yourself a bit closer to that type of look. Or, you could see if there is a free preset that tries to emulate it and then see if you can learn from that.

Good luck,

--Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back