• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Sync Any drawbacks to making "Specify location for Lightroom's Synced images" your main import folder?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David_W

David Wood
Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 12.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 11
Up until now, I have only made limited use of Lightroom Cloud, using it for quick in-the-field edits of Raw files on my phone and taking occasional pictures using the camera feature of the Lightroom app on my phone. I plan to retain a Lightroom Classic-based workflow but intend to make more use of Lightroom Cloud in the future.

I bring most photos into Lightroom Classic using the Import feature, using a card reader for camera pictures and a OneDrive synchronised copy of RAW files from my phone. These files are imported into "Photos" with "yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd" subfolders.

So far, I have taken the cautious approach of having "Specify location for Lightroom's Synced images" as "Photos\Cloud" with "yyyy/yyyy-mm-dd" subfolders. Will I experience any problems or disadvantages in changing the sync location to "Photos" so that I sync directly into the same folders as I import to, leaving Import's "Don't Import Suspected Duplicates" feature to skip any files that have already been imported via Lightroom Cloud?

Solution
I've done that for years and see no drawbacks and every advantage. LrM photos/videos arrive in the same folder structure as photos imported from any of my proper cameras, and the duplicates feature handles any files from the cameras that might have been imported directly into LrM (often on the train home).
I've done that for years and see no drawbacks and every advantage. LrM photos/videos arrive in the same folder structure as photos imported from any of my proper cameras, and the duplicates feature handles any files from the cameras that might have been imported directly into LrM (often on the train home).

Solution
Yes, the same here. It has been working without any problems for many years, and I would highly recommend it for those who use one of the capture-date based folder schemes for their Classic library.

At the risk of sounding repetitive... same here!

And arriving late to the party... I've always used a date named folder scheme for all of my photos. Now, I use my iPadPro as a front end to import all of my photos and sync into Lightroom Classic into that same date named folder scheme.

Thank you all. I could not think of any disadvantages but wanted to check. I have now changed the setting to sync into my main folders and am in the process of moving images in the old Cloud folders into my main folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back