• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Any downsides to using CC + Photoshop instead of Classic + Photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Wimlett

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
CC Version 1.5
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I know the various various weaknesses of CC vs Classic, but CC has a lot of advantages for the way I work. I tend to use Photoshop for final editing of pictures I want to make public, and wondered if anybody had come across any problems with the CC to PS (and back) workflow? The only problem I've found so far is the inability to select multiple images in LR for editing in PS, otherwise it seems to work well.

As you've noted, you can only send one at a time, and unlike Classic, the file gets created immediately rather than when you save it in PS. Neither issue has been enough to put me off.

Thanks Victoria, I'll continue with CC as I've pretty much transitioned now. It would be nice if allowed more than one image at some point, but it's something I can work around.

Your 'Edit Like a Pro' book is a great help BTW :)

You can only send one at a time from LRCC. However, in Photoshop there is an LR Photos panel which shows your collections, and you can open multiple files from there. If you're using LRCC, that means you access raw files. I've not found a way to avoid the Camera Raw dialog for each file, but that does give you the option to open the file as a smart object (hold down shift in Camera Raw). In contrast to Victoria, it's not enough to convince me of LRCC.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 18.32.18.png
    Screen Shot 2018-09-28 at 18.32.18.png
    151.3 KB · Views: 226
Thanks John, that's useful. One problem I've found with the LR Photos panel is that it doesn't show the file name so it can be hard to pick out the raw files from the JPEGs. Do you know if there's a way to show the files names?

You can only see the filenames in the Info panel, but in the Square Grid you should be seeing the file-type badge, lower-left corner of the thumbnails....that'll at least let you know which is Raw and which is Jpeg.

You can only see the filenames in the Info panel, but in the Square Grid you should be seeing the file-type badge, lower-left corner of the thumbnails....that'll at least let you know which is Raw and which is Jpeg.

Thanks Jim,

annoyingy Photoshop's LR Photos grid doesn't show file-type badge, which would be fine as I don't really need the filenames.

I've just though of an easy workaround for the moment. I can create LR CC albums for projects that use more than one image and just copy just the raw images. These will then be easily identified from PS's LR Photos grid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back