• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Another upgrade question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul B

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom 6.14
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.13 High Sierra
Hi Folks

I’m considering moving from 6 Perpetual to 7 Classic on MacOS 10.13. Obviously I’d like to do this with a minimum of fuss and I have a few questions.

I’d like to keep 6 for a while as a fallback. I have all application preferences, settings, presets, templates etc backed up.

Q1 Does the CC installer behave gracefully? I’m assuming 7 is a totally separate app but that it will use all of my existing settings as far as they can be applied to 7.

Q2 I assume that catalogs are upgraded upon first open?

Q3 Do I have to be concerned about preset xmp conversion? If I have understood correctly my existing presets will be converted; there were issues with this but these were resolved at 7.4.

Q4 Any other gotchas I need to be aware of?

Q5 What are the thoughts on any performance differences? I don't have any particular issues at the moment (aside from to-be-expected large bulk operations) I'm running
MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), 2.5 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2048 MB​

Many thanks

Paul

Q1 In the CC application, review the installation options. By default, Lr6 would be removed, but there is an option to keep earlier versions of LR
Q2 Yes, as before
Q3 Cautiously concerned, but not worried. Much depends on what type of presets, and much has now been resolved.
Q4 Can't think of any
Q5 You should find certain things faster, nothing slower. Importing - use the Embedded & Sidecar previews method. Exporting should be quicker. Folders and filtering is now quicker.

Thanks John. I know how things can go awry (the politest phrase I could think of) with most LR-related changes, so with a major upgrade it's just nice to do a sanity check.

I need to read up on preview types though; not used Embedded & Sidecar before.

Cheers

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back