• Welcome to Lightroom Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to register and post your first thread under Help on the menubar above. You're also welcome to join our newsletter, download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBook and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Lightroom Classic 8.0 and Lightroom CC 2.0 (desktop) and Lightroom CC 4.0 (mobile) have just gone live. My books are already updated for the changes.
  • Are you ever disappointed with your photos? Do you get frustrated when you’re editing because you’ve been told to move certain sliders, but never been told WHY? Do you wish you could transform your photos without having to spend hours in front of the computer? In my new book, Adobe Lightroom CC - Edit Like a Pro, you’ll learn:
    • how to to analyze a photo like a pro, saving you hours of frustration.
    • WHY you might want to move specific sliders, instead of just following recipes.
    • what the sliders are doing behind the scenes.
    • how to use sliders together, instead of in isolation, so you can get the optimal result
    The book is based on the cloud-native Lightroom CC desktop and mobile apps, but the principles also apply to Lightroom 6 and Lightroom Classic. The sliders are arranged into slightly different panels, but there's an included PDF that shows you where to find them in Lightroom Classic/6.

AMD 2nd gen Ryzen threadripper 2990WX (and 2950X)

LRList001

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
Has anyone tried the new AMD threadripper chips with LR?

As the 2990 presents 32 threads (and the 2950 16 threads) with sophisticated automatic significant over-clocking (given water cooling), these new chips look like they could offer serious advantages in bulk processing raw images, unless it is all down to GPU performance now?

tspear

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic 7
I have the previous generation. AMD Ryzen 7 1700 Processor
Works really well, very fast. I have a mid-high GPU and enabling GPU is better for develop on my machine; but export is faster with it off.

Tim

LRList001

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x / CC 2015.x
It would help if I got the core data/wording right, the 2990 has 32 cores, presenting 64 threads to the OS (and the 2950 has half the number of dies thus presents 32 threads).
However, experience with the previous generation isn't so much of a guide to the 2nd gen performance with LR. The 2990 has four dies but only two have direct access to RAM, making the chip excellent for certain types of modelling, but less good for data intensive tasks. Indeed, some are finding that switching off the two indirect dies (resulting in changing a 2990 into the 2950 more or less) results in better performance. If LR falls into this latter category, the extra cost of the 2990 is pointless, the 2950 would be the one to use.
Hence asking this forum if there is experience with running LR on the new Ryzen Threadripper 2nd gen chips, especially the four die 2990 version.