• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Am I Viewing JPG or RAW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 8.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
I recently picked up a Sigma 18-250 for my Nikon DS5300. I started to feel the auto focus at times was 'soft' so went looking for how to check it out. I found this article that talked about viewing the RAW image in whatever post processing software you use. I took the prescribed pictures and only loaded the NEF into LR Classic. I need to zoom into the center of the test pattern to view the sharpness of the image but am confused as to what I'm seeing in loupe, grid and zoomed in modes; embedded JPG, Standard Preview created on Import or a custom 1:1 Preview. I'm also using a secondary monitor. Can someone advise?

Thanks

Just zoom to 1:1 in either develop or loupe mode. None of that other stuff matters.

Just zoom to 1:1 in either develop or loupe mode. None of that other stuff matters.
Thanks Hal. Is there a way to force the Secondary Display to 1:1? I can get the LR control area at 1:1 using Navigator but can't find an equivalent control for the Secondary.

If you don't see magnification controls in the secondary display, they're probably hidden. Click a triangle at the top of bottom of the secondary display to reveal the top and bottom panels, and the secondary display magnification controls will be at the right end of the bottom panel.

am confused as to what I'm seeing in loupe, grid and zoomed in modes; embedded JPG, Standard Preview created on Import or a custom 1:1 Preview. I'm also using a secondary monitor. Can someone advise?
The highest quality display is the Develop module. It's always at full resolution.

According to Victoria's Lightroom Classic Missing FAQ book, all other views show the slightly lower quality cached Adobe RGB JPEG preview representing the current Develop settings, generated at your preview quality settings. That would include the Secondary Display, because there's no way to show the Develop module in the secondary display.

If it was an embedded preview, there would be an embedded preview badge in the lower right corner.

I got this info from pages 460-463 of Victoria's book.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back