• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

All Synced Photos - Sync Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

prbimages

Lightroom Guru
Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 9.1 / Cloudy 3.1 / LR Web
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I am seeing "Sync Issues" in LR Web, and discrepancies between the "All Synced Photographs" and "Deleted" numbers on LR Classic and the values shown on LR Web, LR Cloudy, and LR Mobile (Android). Specifically:

LR Web:
  • All Photos: 4838
  • Sync Issues: 3
  • Deleted: 29
LR Cloudy Desktop and LR Mobile:
  • All Photos: 4838
  • Deleted: 26
LR Classic:
  • All Synced Photographs: 4835
  • Sync Activity: No sync activities / no issues reported
On LR Web, clicking on "Sync Issues" shows placeholder icons for three photos, each with the message "Open Lightroom on <computer-name> to continue syncing". Of course I have tried that but nothing happens, and LR Classic reports no syncing issues.

On LR Web, clicking on "Deleted" shows the same three placeholder icons, mixed in among the other deleted photos.

I am 99% sure that each of the photos showing sync issues underwent the following procedure in LR Classic: (1) it was already synced; (2) I created a virtual copy (which then automatically synced); (3) I made a few small edits to the virtual copy in LR Classic; (4) the virtual copy was then deleted from LR Classic. So it appears that the deletion of the virtual copy did not propagate correctly to the cloud - the "Deleted" number increased as expected, but the "All Photos" number did not decrease. (It is interesting also to note that LR Web and LR Cloudy show different numbers for the "Deleted" group; I would have expected them to be using the same underlying information.)

I am also 99% sure that I have applied the above workflow to other photos without causing any such problem. In other words, the problem is not necessarily reproducible.

To try to get things back to a consistent state, using LR Web, I selected one of the placeholder images under "Sync Issues" by clicking in the selection box in the top right corner of the thumbnail, and then chose "Delete" from the pop-up menu bar. The placeholder image was then removed from that screen, the "Sync Issues" count went down from 3 to 2, and the "Deleted" count went down from 29 to 28. "Great!", I thought. However, the "All Photos" count did NOT decline; it remained at 4838 (and at 4835 in LR Classic). So it's even more inconsistent now.

Any advice on how to proceed? Are there any known problems with the syncing of virtual copies? It would be nice to get my numbers back to a consistent state.

Hi prbimages. If the 3 missing ones appear to be the same as the 3 difference in Deleted, I'd just go into Deleted and delete them properly. The difference in the Classic count is likely 3 videos.

Thanks Victoria. But no, no videos; I don't do videos.

However you were right in the implication that the discrepancy of three in the photo count might be unrelated to the three sync issues. I had assumed it was a single problem, but in fact I had two simultaneous problems, each coincidentally involving three (different) images. BOTH problems, though, were related to flaky syncing of virtual copies. This is something I encounter occasionally (e.g. as reported here, and here), and I am surprised that I don't see others reporting similar problems. Is it really just me?

Anyway, I followed your advice of deleting from "Deleted" on LRWeb. This brought the total number of deleted photos in line between LRWeb and LR Cloudy. But, the "Sync issues" still existed. So, I deleted those as well. That went OK, but the deleted sync issues then appeared under "Deleted". So I deleted them from "Deleted" again, and now I had matching "Deleted" numbers and no sync issues.

However, I still had a mis-match between the "All Photos" counts. By drilling down into individual dates, I found that I had three virtual copies (of different images) showing up in the cloud, although those virtual copies had been deleted from Classic. The same problem I have reported here before. Deleting the virtual copies from the cloud fixed this issue. Now, all my numbers match again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back