• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Album/folder structure in Lr 3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lvistam

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
Can I create subfolders for albums in Lr 3.3?

“Folders” are containers for. Albums. There are no SubFolders (Folders inside of folders)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well, like Collections Sets in Classic, you can have multiple levels of folders in Lightroom (up to 4 or 5 I believe), so I guess you could call the lower levels "sub-folders".

“Folders” are containers for Albums. There are no SubFolders (Folders inside of folders)
The latter is not true. You can have subfolders in Lightroom, just like you can have collection sets inside collection sets in Lightroom Classic.

Can I create subfolders for albums in Lr 3.3?
Check page 76 in your Lightroom - Edit Like a Pro book, the heading 'GROUPING ALBUMS IN FOLDERS'

It explains how to do just that.

Well, like Collections Sets in Classic, you can have multiple levels of folders in Lightroom (up to 4 or 5 I believe), so I guess you could call the lower levels "sub-folders".
Before I Wrote my response, I tried and was unable to create more than one depth Level of "folder" . What am I doing wrong?
Also should I point out that LrC Collections translate to albums but Collection sets don't sync to the cloud.

Last edited:
What am I doing wrong?
Without knowing how you're trying to do it, I can't say what you are doing wrong. I do it by right-clicking on an existing folder and selecting "Create Folder" from the sub-menu. That creates a "sub-folder" (provided you leave the "Inside Folder xxxxxxx" checked, which it is by default). For more levels, repeat by right-clicking on the sub-folder, and so on until you reach the maximum number of levels (which is 5).

Without knowing how you're trying to do it, I can't say what you are doing wrong. I do it by right-clicking on an existing folder and selecting "Create Folder" from the sub-menu. That creates a "sub-folder" (provided you leave the "Inside Folder xxxxxxx" checked, which it is by default). For more levels, repeat by right-clicking on the sub-folder, and so on until you reach the maximum number of levels (which is 5).
There is no "right click" on my mobile touch screen device or at least I do not know how to "right click" with my fingers. But I did manage to finally nest a folder within a folder. Now that I have a nested folder, I don't see anything to indicate that the folder contains subfolders (or albums for that matter).

There is no "right click" on my mobile touch screen device or at least I do not know how to "right click" with my fingers. But I did manage to finally nest a folder within a folder. Now that I have a nested folder, I don't see anything to indicate that the folder contains subfolders (or albums for that matter).
Indeed you do not get an indication that a folder contains subfolders in the mobile apps. In Lightroom desktop you can see a hierarchy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back