• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Advice on how to migrate ExpressionMedia Catalog sets to Lightroom Smart Collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roelof Moorlag

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
I'm prepairing to switch from EM to LR and one of the metadata that's not compatible are 'Catalog Sets'. I want them to transfer in LR to Smart Collections and now i wonder how that can be acomplished best.

attachment.php

Is it best to put the names of all seperate catalog sets into the keywords manualy?
(Prive, Vakantie, 2013 Noorwegen, Fotoalbum)

Or is it better to make it one keyword?
(PriveVakantie2013NoorwegenFotoalbum)

When it's possible i would like to recreate the hierachy..
Any tips?
Roelof

Attachments

• EM_CatalogSets.JPG
    EM_CatalogSets.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 277
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Roelof. Someone else may have a better idea, but I'd do them as individual keywords in a hierarchy personally.

Is it best to put the names of all seperate catalog sets into the keywords manualy?
(Prive, Vakantie, 2013 Noorwegen, Fotoalbum)

Or is it better to make it one keyword?
(PriveVakantie2013NoorwegenFotoalbum)

When it's possible i would like to recreate the hierachy..
Any tips?
Roelof

If it were me, I'd enter the key words separately; that will give you a lot more flexibility in reproducing the sets you already have, in addition to creating new sets in the future.
Then, a Smart collection based on the individual keywords will be easy.

Can you share an Expression Media catalog file somewhere that I might download it? I might be able to work out some migration scheme from Em into LR.

Thank you all for responding to my question, appriciate all your help!

First it confirms my initial thoughts to use seperate Keywords for every catalog set. This keywords than can be used for 'building' up smart collections.
However, i have quite some catalog sets and i would be nice if there was an automated option for transfering the names.

@Cletus, here is copy of one of my Catalog files: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/25580003/Archief_Origineel_kopie.ivc
@John, the search and replace plugin looks exactly what i need, i'm going to test it indeed! Thanks for reminding me.

I just found this resource also: http://blog.insanegenius.com/tag/expressionmedia/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back