• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • It's Lightroom update time again. Just some small tweaks as well as cameras/lenses and bugs! See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

Adobe Sensei, automatically tags your photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Didi

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Hi, autotagging is a long awaited topic.
as help search in the mobile app its nice.
But where are these tags stored? and can they also be viewed in Lightrom Classic as keywords?

thx Didi

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
It's more than Classic plus LRCC, Jim, because keywords are shown in LRM where they are editable, and also now in LRW. or are you meaning LRCC to include those too? Anything with a rounded icon?
The latter, John.

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
OK, for the sake of completeness and my own sanity, I have done some minimal testing (using LR 2015.12 -> CC environment) and have verified the following:
  • DNG file, metadata NOT saved to file, keywords DON'T upload.
  • DNG file, metadata SAVED to file, keywords DO upload.
  • Proprietary raw file (.ARW), metadata NOT saved to XMP sidecar, keywords DON'T upload.
  • Proprietary raw file (.ARW), metadata SAVED to XMP sidecar, keywords DO upload.
At least the behaviour is consistent - if you "save metadata to file" before syncing, then your keywords will upload along with the Smart Preview, regardless of whether you are using DNGs or proprietary raws.

Contrary to others claiming this is nearly useless, I think it is actually a nice feature! My workflow is as follows:
  • I do all my work, including keywording, in 2015.12 (soon to be Classic).
  • I put selected images into synced collections, so Smart Previews (including keywords) get uploaded to the cloud.
  • I can then view and share those synced images very easily with family, friends, clients (onscreen on my phone or a web browser, through MyPortfolio, Spark, shared albums, shared Web galleries, etc.).
The advantage of having the keywords uploaded is that I get far better search functionality when perusing images on my phone or on LRWeb. I can search for people by name, I can search for locations in detail (e.g. name of venue), I can search for event names, and so on, none of which Sensei would understand without the keywords being there.

I just need to make sure that the metadata gets written - I guess the easiest way to do that is to set the "Automatically write changes into XMP" option in the catalog preferences. And that I do the keywording before the photo is uploaded. Since the keywords don't sync after the first upload, if I change the keywords I would need to delete the image from the synced collection, then add it back again, to get the updated info into the cloud.

Of course, this would all change if moving to a workflow based on LR CC.

Last edited:
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Sounds pretty logical - thanks for sharing prbimages!

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Contrary to others claiming this is nearly useless, I think it is actually a nice feature! My workflow is as follows:
  • I do all my work, including keywording, in 2015.12 (soon to be Classic).
  • I put selected images into synced collections, so Smart Previews (including keywords) get uploaded to the cloud.
  • I can then view and share those synced images very easily with family, friends, clients (onscreen on my phone or a web browser, through MyPortfolio, Spark, shared albums, shared Web galleries, etc.).
The advantage of having the keywords uploaded is that I get far better search functionality when perusing images on my phone or on LRWeb. I can search for people by name, I can search for locations in detail (e.g. name of venue), I can search for event names, and so on, none of which Sensei would understand without the keywords being there.

I do something pretty similar, though in my case I go a bit further as I also eventually want to replace the smart previews in the cloud with full rez originals (easy enough to do, more about that will probably follow in Victoria's planned series of blog posts about using a combined Classic + LRCC workflow). One thing to note about this "transfer of keywords" process is that all assigned keywords (direct and inherited) are transferred, so any keywords that you might have had set to NOT export will still appear in LRCC (e.g. hierarchical "organisational" keywords). Might be useful, might be a pain.

Didi

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
yes smart workflows are very interesting
next to the keywords topic, I am also not very happy with the possibilities reagrding videos, which cannot be sent into the cloud from LRC. So I am playing around with uploading them via LR CC to have them in the cloud and synced back into LRC. Also the syncinc ability of smart collections is not yet here...

RobOK

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
They never really intended for people to have "a foot in both camps". Used the way it was designed, it's simple.

I don't think there are two camps per se, there are a suite of products. For example which "camp" is LR Mobile (e.g., iPad) in? Over the next few years many people will be using both, its too simplistic to say pick one or the other.

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
I don't think there are two camps per se, there are a suite of products. For example which "camp" is LR Mobile (e.g., iPad) in? Over the next few years many people will be using both, its too simplistic to say pick one or the other.
Nah, it is simple. You either believe in their Vision that everything's in the cloud or you continue to pay their profit margins to support everyone who wants to be in the cloud.

Tim the cynic

Sent from my LG-TP260 using Tapatalk

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service

They designed one to be local desktop based and the other to be cloud based. They’re not really designed to overlap too far.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.