• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Adobe, security and backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Søren Reinke

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Hi there

What do we now about the security of Adobe's cloud hosting?

Adobe is not known for security, as seen here (take from www.haveibeenpwned.com):

In October 2013, 153 million Adobe accounts were breached with each containing an internal ID, username, email, encryptedpassword and a password hint in plain text. The password cryptography was poorly done and many were quickly resolved back to plain text. The unencrypted hints also disclosed much about the passwords adding further to the risk that hundreds of millions of Adobe customers already faced.

The whole idea about giving all my raw files to their cloud, is not something that goes well with me.

What about backup of the data? Do they use raid, and backup in different geo locations?

You don't have to use the cloud version... Just stick to Lightroom Classic.

Have a look at Adobe General Terms of Use

2.3 Storage. When the Services provide storage, we recommend that you continue to back up your content regularly.

In general Adobe does not ensure anything.

Unless stated in the Additional Terms [I did not find any additional terms for Lightroom service], we are not liable to you or anyone else for: any loss of use, data, goodwill, or profits ...

If you like to be on the safe side, just do not trust Adobe and make you own backups.

You don't have to use the cloud version... Just stick to Lightroom Classic.
That is correct, and I most likely will.

Also going to try Capture One, to see if that suits my needs.

To me it seems like the Cloud version is for people who think an iPhone is an amazing camera.

To everybody else, who are pro's or amateurs who actually like it, the should stick with the folder version.

I judged a competition last night and the winner, with a stunning image was shot with an iphone 6. I did not know that until the results were announced.

The issues here are bigger than iphone v camera debate, but people who do not have an inventory of images, no current workflow , will be attracted to the options available in the new Cc.

I judged a competition last night and the winner, with a stunning image was shot with an iphone 6. I did not know that until the results were announced.

The issues here are bigger than iphone v camera debate, but people who do not have an inventory of images, no current workflow , will be attracted to the options available in the new Cc.
Gnits, i know the iphone can take good pictures no doubt about that. I have some wonderful pictures of my kids taken with my iPhone 6, yes it works, and in good condition it take nice shots. But really it cant compete in flexibility with my Nikon D500 with my Nikon 28-70 f/2.8 lense.

But what i mean is, the cloud version is not really what people using dSLR's want or need, it's more for the younger people running around making selfies with their phone, and things like that.

Most 'younger people' running around with iPhones have never heard of Lightroom and will be perfectly happy with the solutions offers by Apple and Samung, et al. and their cloud solutions are not for the exclusive use of the vendors software.

Yes.. It is correct for Adobe to try and tap into that massive market.

For me, the concerns are related to the title of this thread in that with the new Lr CC Cloud Adobe insists that all of our digital assets are now handed over to the control of Adobe and we made the decision to upload them to Adobe servers.

I would like to see more clarity on the terms and conditions surrounding how our data is managed, what happens in relation to international jourisdiction issues and how can we get our original data back.

I am concerned that effectively Adobe have told us that Lightroom Classic is a few steps away from Lightroom Legacy.

I think there is a place for a Lr solution which includes 'Cloud' features. Such an architecture may help provide multi user support, family user support, professional office shared options.

None of use mere mortals really know what way Adobe will steer the Lr ship.

Having been responsible for large scale enterprise data for large corporations, I fully understand the issues around data security and ownership.

I have made up my mind already that, for lots of reasons, I will not use a solution which requires me to transfer my digital assets to the cloud. I hope Adobe do not force me into such a decision and hope that future versions of Classic and Cloud will happily coexist, or that local content will work with the new Lr kid on the block.

So, I think the DSLR users can benefit from a cloud solution just as much as the phone users, but we will have to wait and see how Adobe wish to deliver such solutions.

I have made up my mind already that, for lots of reasons, I will not use a solution which requires me to transfer my digital assets to the cloud. I hope Adobe do not force me into such a decision and hope that future versions of Classic and Cloud will happily coexist, or that local content will work with the new Lr kid on the block.

So, I think the DSLR users can benefit from a cloud solution just as much as the phone users, but we will have to wait and see how Adobe wish to deliver such solutions.

I am in a similar boat as you. I use the cloud, I have a backup of my photos in a cloud - but encrypted by me, managed by me.

What is frightening to me is that the majority of the population (especially younger, but not just younger) are becoming blind to risks of security and privacy. Even my wife thinks I am a bit nuts when I question why she just gave her phone number to some store clerk; she says "because they asked". Same with all sorts of personal information. Most people using facebook (etc) heavily likely have given over more information to them than they have to their doctor, lawyer or any combination.

What I worry about is that those actually concerned about security and privacy will become such a minority that Adobe and others will just write us off, and not try to retain us as customers. We are too much trouble, we ask disturbing questions.

I think the "wait and see" is the right answer; nothing hanged YET, new Classic is better than old 2015.12. But I fear for the trend.

But in the end... Adobe will have access to all our files and also to all our catalogues in the cloud. They will be able to search keywords, collections and folders across LR users. And at some point they will ask us to sell our images for us. We will get a penny for an image the Adobe customer downloads. They will sell it for a dollar. Its business. And in time we will accept it. But for now I am staying on the classic. And try to figure out how the escape should be at that time. But I have to admit that it is a clever way to create maybe one of the biggest stock photo agencies in the world..... But is it ok? Only if we just accept it.

But in the end... Adobe will have access to all our files and also to all our catalogues in the cloud. They will be able to search keywords, collections and folders across LR users. And at some point they will ask us to sell our images for us. We will get a penny for an image the Adobe customer downloads. They will sell it for a dollar. Its business. And in time we will accept it. But for now I am staying on the classic. And try to figure out how the escape should be at that time. But I have to admit that it is a clever way to create maybe one of the biggest stock photo agencies in the world..... But is it ok? Only if we just accept it.

These conspiracy theories are getting wilder with each message. Adobe Stock already exists. There is even a publishing service in Lightroom Classic for it. It contains millions of images already, because they didn't started it from scratch, but bought Fotolia. So now they created a brand new Lightroom, just to get more images in there? Get real!

@jjespdk, if we are going to do conspiracy theories, I think yours is too mild. I think it's more like facebook, where they will use this to collect metadata, analyze faces, tie them to keywords from LR Face recognition, build one of the largest photo repositories to mine for information -- not sell the photos, but use the information.

But then again, we were just talking conspiracy theories, right? Not reality.

These conspiracy theories are getting wilder with each message. Adobe Stock already exists. There is even a publishing service in Lightroom Classic for it. It contains millions of images already, because they didn't started it from scratch, but bought Fotolia. So now they created a brand new Lightroom, just to get more images in there? Get real!

Johan, maybe you are right. But the new thing is that before we had to do something active to put images on Adobe Stock. We had a choice. With the new CC Cloud, we don't have to do anything. We just give Adobe access to our images, folders, keywords and collections... ;-) I made my point. You don't agree, its all fine. I will go away for now. I am not going to buy the CC Cloud plan anyway.

@jjespdk, if we are going to do conspiracy theories, I think yours is too mild. I think it's more like facebook, where they will use this to collect metadata, analyze faces, tie them to keywords from LR Face recognition, build one of the largest photo repositories to mine for information -- not sell the photos, but use the information.

No of course not. It is only fiction! We would laugh if it would be real.

Johan, maybe you are right. But the new thing is that before we had to do something active to put images on Adobe Stock. We had a choice. With the new CC Cloud, we don't have to do anything. We just give Adobe access to our images, folders, keywords and collections... ;) I made my point. You don't agree, its all fine. I will go away for now. I am not going to buy the CC Cloud plan anyway.

CC Cloud is not new either. People have been synching images from Lightroom CC2015 to the cloud for three years. Did anyone look at those images and ask you to sell them through Adobe Stock? I didn’t think so.

Except that it's not all conspiracy. I have an extremely sparse presence on FB, mainly for professional reasons. My wall is empty. I have never upload any photos, any status updates, nothing. Yet when I do follow a link that leads to FB, it's alarming how well the ads target me. Clearly FB already knows a lot about me.

And it's worse with Google. But that's another thread altogether.

Phil

Except that it's not all conspiracy. I have an extremely sparse presence on FB, mainly for professional reasons. My wall is empty. I have never upload any photos, any status updates, nothing. Yet when I do follow a link that leads to FB, it's alarming how well the ads target me. Clearly FB already knows a lot about me.

And it's worse with Google. But that's another thread altogether.

Phil

Nobody denies that Facebook and Google are doing that. If a product is 'free', you are the real product. The question is whether that is what Adobe is really after too, and whether Lightroom is basically just a smoke screen to get there. I don't buy that.

I would absolutely agree with this. It's not about the photos, it's about the data.

Nobody denies that Facebook and Google are doing that. If a product is 'free', you are the real product. The question is whether that is what Adobe is really after too, and whether Lightroom is basically just a smoke screen to get there. I don't buy that.
Johan,

Of course we are the "product" on Facebook, Google, and LinkedIn, to name but a few popular sites. The scary part is that most people aren't aware of how much privacy they willingly surrender.

I think it would be an utter disaster for Adobe's reputation if they were to use Lightroom as a sneaky way to collect people's private data. And like you, I don't believe that is their intention or their strategy.

Phil

Just out of pure personal interest is there anywhere in Adobe's T&Cs relating to the Cloud that allow them to use the images that people upload as they see fit or conversely any mention that they will not use the uploaded images for any purpose? As I am still on a perpetual version I don't have access to such cloud related T&Cs.

Just out of pure personal interest is there anywhere in Adobe's T&Cs relating to the Cloud that allow them to use the images that people upload as they see fit or conversely any mention that they will not use the uploaded images for any purpose? As I am still on a perpetual version I don't have access to such cloud related T&Cs.

As you should be able to make a decision to use or not to use their cloud offering based upon that information, it should be available to you as well.

In your Adobe account, you can already choose to opt out of the machine learning stuff. Of course it largely defeats the object of their new tools, but it's good to know it's there.

In your Adobe account, you can already choose to opt out of the machine learning stuff. Of course it largely defeats the object of their new tools, but it's good to know it's there.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of this. Has now removed both options. And it also shows that Adobe has the exact same intensions as Google, Microsoft and Facebook, if you ask me. In a smaller scale maybe, but nevertheless... Big Data is a big business and it is for sale. I simply don't like the idea of others selling data I have provide, without even asking me... (not saying Adobe does this, but eventually they could. And even Adobe is for sale at some point, if the money is right)

Big Data is a big business and it is for sale. I simply don't like the idea of others selling data I have provide, without even asking me... (not saying Adobe does this, but eventually they could. And even Adobe is for sale at some point, if the money is right)

A global problem is the prevalence of "opt out" as a viable mechanism for saying "we protect your privacy". Then they bury the "opt out" deep within their system, and periodically "default it for your convenience" back to no.

I generally opposed regulation, but I sure wish that some of the privacy oriented countries would state clearly "opt in is the only acceptable data collection option".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back