Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3 (for MAC, ) is suddenly not downloading images from camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.

umlasr

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
I have been using Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3, a one time purchase on a disc, for over 10 years. Yesterday when I attempted to download photos from my Canon EOS 7D the library comes up as usual, but when I turn on the camera connected to my MAC Computer instead of showing the new images to be downloaded the screen goes very dark and the download does not function. I downloaded the software again today, but it is functioning in exactly the same manner. Can anyone provide me with a solution to this problem, please?

Hi umlasr, welcome to the forum! I haven't come across anyone using LR3 for a long time. When you say the screen goes very dark, it goes black? Or what can you see? A screenshot might help.

Thank you for your prompt response, Victoria. Please pardon my technical ignorance bur I've never taken a sceenshot. My Lightroom 3 is on an older MAC Mini, not the computer I am currently on with which the old software is not compatible.Would you kindly tell me how to take a screenshot and I'll give it a try. I can at least try to answer your question about what exactly I see more explicitly after I give it a try.

The screen is going completely black when I turn on my camera to download images.

Attachments

• Lightroom Screen.jpg
    Lightroom Screen.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 180
Victoria, today when I turn on Lightroom 3, I can see neither my past images nor download any from my camera.
The screen is going completely black when the program comes up . My computer seems to be functioning fine otherwise.

Attachments

• Lightroom Screen.jpg
    Lightroom Screen.jpg
    1,009.7 KB · Views: 169
Perfect. Click the triangle in the lower right corner of that lighter grey bit.

Lower left corner!

The explanation is that you've inadvertently activated the "minimalist" import dialog screen. Clicking that triangle will expand it to the regular full-size dialog that you are more familiar with.

Jim, thank you for advising clicking the triangle that worked as you said it would.. The images from the camera are coming up now, with the check and uncheck, but lacking the download option. Have you any idea what I can do?

Victoria, thank you for advising clicking the triangle that worked as you said it would.. The images from the camera are coming up now, with the check and uncheck, but lacking the download option. Have you any idea what I can do?

Johan, please see my most recent responses to Victoria and Jim. The situation has evolved. I can now see the images in my camera but there is no download option on the screen on which to check and uncheck images where they are displayed.

We need to see what you're seeing. Please make a screenshot, as Johan requested.

There is no "Download" option, but the "Import" button ought to work:

Yep. I’m a bit surprise that after using Lightroom for ten years, you suddenly don’t remember what the import dialog looks like. This is the normal import dialog, that you must have been using all those years. There is no download button and there never was...

You are both entirely right. I'd been having so much trouble with the program that when it actually worked I was completely thrown. Thank you all for your very kind assistance.

By way of explanation, the format of how the images are displayed in the screenshot is different from what I am used to. In the screenshot they fill the full screen in columns six across. In the past the new photos have been displayed in just two columns that run from the top to the bottom of the screen. The difference in format confused me in that it appeared unfamiliar.

The size of the thumbnails displayed in the Import grid is user controllable, using the slider at the bottom right of the centre panel:

_2__Adobe_Photoshop_Lightroom_3__for_MAC____is_suddenly_not_downloading_images_from_camera____...png

Thank you so much, Jim! I'm so grateful to be back in business. The program has worked wonderfully for me even at my low level of technical facility. I'll try using the thumbnail slider as you suggest to get back into totally familiar territory. Once again, thank you all!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back