• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Import Adobe Lightroom classic: preview unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Camera: Nikon D7500
Lightroom version: Lightroom Classic version: 9.0 [ 201910151439-b660523e ]
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (10.0.18362)
Nikon Transfer 2: version 2.13.3

Hello all,

At the moment I cannot import some of the photos I made with my Nikon D7500. Lightroom will indicate “Preview unavailable for this file.”. If I do select the files and click ‘import’, Lightroom indicates: “The files cannot be opened by Lightroom”.
Below you will find some notes and things I tried:
  • Change EXIF information
    using exiftool I changed the camera type of the files to Nikon D90 (my previous camera). That didn’t work out. Or I didn’t do it correctly
  • File transfer – file explorer
    Photos I transferred using the file browser are no issue. I can import these into Lightroom.
  • File transfer – Nikon Transfer
    The files were transferred from my camera to my laptop using Nikon Transfer. I did confirm that the files were on my laptop and I could open\preview them using the file explorer, so I assumed everything was fine. Unfortunately, I deleted the photos on my camera after transferring.
  • Nikon Capture / Microsoft Photos
    I installed Nikon Capture, which was able to open the files, so as the build in program of Windows to view pictures. I don’t see what is wrong with the flies
  • Copied files
    I tried copying the files to a different location: no effect.
  • Updates
    I updated Lightroom and windows and rebooted my laptop several times
I will no longer transfer my photos using Nikon Transfer, but in the meantime I have quite some photos I cannot process. I will be very happy if anyone could help me with this issue!
Thank you in advance!

Nikon transfer is known to make files unreadable by Lightroom. I see that you'll not be using it in the future.

I seem to recall that there is a way to fix them, but my recaller isn't all that reliable--there might not be. You can probably use some Nikon software to convert them to TIFF and import those into Lightroom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back