• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Adobe DNG Profile Editor

Status
Not open for further replies.

21tones

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
I recently bought a used converted camera to try out infrared photography.
I've tried using the DNG Profile Editor to overcome white balance restrictions in Lightroom 5.7.1.
The Profile Editor tells me it has exported the profile I have created but the created profile will not appear in the Camera Calibration section.
When I check the profile that has been created the file is only 1kb in size. Other profiles for that camera that Adobe has created are 110kb.
I have downloaded the DNG Profile Editor a few times thinking it was a problem resulting from a faulty download but it is always the same.
Is anyone having any joy in using the DNG Profile Editor?
Thanks

Keith - thanks for your reply. Yes I used a photo taken by the converted camera. The article you linked to was the one I was using to guide me. I have also looked at some Youtube videos as well. A friend using LR subscription version says she has had problems recently as well. How recently did you use the Profile Editor? Thanks

Thank you for linking to my article about how to set proper Infrared White Balance in Lightroom. The instructions provided there should be perfectly applicable to your Lightroom version 5.7.1.

It is indeed true that Adobe changed the way profiles are being used back in March 2018, but this affects only people using Lightroom Classic CC.

Thank you for linking to my article about how to set proper Infrared White Balance in Lightroom. The instructions provided there should be perfectly applicable to your Lightroom version 5.7.1.

It is indeed true that Adobe changed the way profiles are being used back in March 2018, but this affects only people using Lightroom Classic CC.
I have been unable to create a profile for my IR converted D750 with LR6.14 using the DNG profile editor. No problem in the past with my D7100. I've followed all the steps and all is well but the profile created does not appear in the drop down for profiles after I restart LR. Please help!

Have you checked that the profile is saved in the correct folder? The profiles should be stored in:

Windows—C:\ ProgramData \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles \
Mac—Macintosh HD / Library / Application Support / Adobe/ CameraRaw / CameraProfiles /

The profile was automatically exported to the DNG folder that has the original unmodified DNG image.

When I get home tonight, I will check the camera profile folder and move the new profile to it if not already there.

I went ahead and exported the created dcp file to the camera profiles folder within Local Disc C. Unfortunately it still doesn't show up under the drop down box under profiles. Any other ideas on where to put it?

Yes. Try this one, I forgot that Lightroom 6 no longer accepts custom profiles in the main folder.

C: \ Users \ [your username] \ AppData \ Roaming \ Adobe \ CameraRaw \ CameraProfiles

If that folder does not exist, then create it manually. I would expect your other custom profiles to be in there too however.

How do I create CameraRaw and CameraProfiles folders? Following your advice, on my computer the next folder that pops up after I click on Adobe is Lightroom, not CameraRaw.

Not sure where they are. This was done in 2016 or 2017 and now that I have LR 6.14, I need to create another profile for a different camera and the steps I used before to create a profile don't work.

Yes, how do I created a folder for CameraRaw and CameraProfiles? Do I just click new folder and rename it? The issue is Lightroom, not CameraRaw appearing as the next folder after I click on Adobe on the progression.

Yes, you just create a new, empty folder and name it ‘CameraRaw’.

But I say once again: you said you created custom profiles before. Does Lightroom still show them if you select a raw file from your D7100 camera? Have you searched your hard drive for these .dcp files?

Hang on, before you go creating folders, check you're looking in the right place. Those folders should already exist.

From what I see it looks like the custom camera profiles are stored as an .xmp file to work in LR 6.14. How do I create this type file for a new camera profile?

.xmp is a different kind of file, if we're talking Lightroom 6. (There are some kinds of camera profile and preset stored as xmp in LRClassic, but that won't apply here.)

If you have an xmp file, that would just be a normal set of edit settings relating to a specific picture.

We're going in circles a bit here Alan. Take us back to basics, and tell us how you're creating the profile (exact steps), the type of file that is creating, and where exactly you're trying to put it.

The image from the new camera was exported as a DNG file to a labeled folder, a DNG profile editor used that DNG file to create a .dcp file which was sent back to the labeled folder. When I restarted LR 6, the new profile does not appear. I even copied and pasted the .dcp file into the CameraProfiles folder at the end of the chain from Local Disc (C)-Users- my name-AppData-Roaming-Adobe-CameraRaw-CameraProfiles.

Last edited:
I keep asking you this, but for some reason you don’t answer. So I will ask one more time: where are your older D7100 custom profiles? Did you find them in the same folder?
The DCP files are in the same folder as the DNG files. The various profiles are shown as .xps files when I did a search on my computer.

The DCP files are in the same folder as the DNG files. The various profiles are shown as .xps files when I did a search on my computer.
I see when searching for DCP files it shows the new camera and the red-blue swap profile but not the other camera profiles I created in 2016 and 2017. However, when opening up an image taken with these cameras in LR develop mode, their profiles option appears in the dropdown box.

I see when searching for DCP files it shows the new camera and the red-blue swap profile but not the other camera profiles I created in 2016 and 2017. However, when opening up an image taken with these cameras in LR develop mode, their profiles option appears in the dropdown box.
That is what I was expecting. That means that -despite of what you are saying- you are saving your new profiles in the wrong folder. They should be saved in the same folder as the old profiles, which must be there otherwise you could not select them in Lightroom. I'm a Mac user. Is it possible that Windows does not search in certain system folders by default? That could explain why you don't find them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back