• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Adobe Desktop Service.EXE High & Continuous I/O Reads/Writes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_DS256

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic 8.4
Operating System
  1. Windows 7
I occasionally have slow downs on my Windows 7. I have a USB based monitor extender that sometimes misbehaves and forces a reboot.

I just discovered that Abobe Desktop Service.EXE has more I/O Reads than my Malware Service. The counters for reads and writes are always incrementing. It has the highest I/O reads for any process.

Can anyone explain what is happening and if this is normal?

Thanks Capture.JPG

What were you doing in Lightroom at the time?

LR wasn't even open Victoria.

I made an adjustment and removed the option for Creative Cloud NOT to start at login, but Desktop.EXE still starts.

I just booted about an hour ago and Desktop.EXE is already the highest I/O read at over 160K. My concern is not so much that it's running but what is it doing with all those reads

Ah, I missed that it was a generic Adobe exe and not a Lightroom one. Odd!

Pretty sure that's the service that has crashed a couple of times on my Mac in recent wekks (with no apparent ill effects!). Bug in the software which reacts differently on Mac versus Windows?

I've had some of the (WAY WAY TOO MANY) Adobe processes seem to run amok. When I research I find lots of people complaining but rarely resolution, though once in a while Adobe has patched and fixed a problem. Sadly (or happily depending on viewpoint) you appear to be on the latest.

I think to find out the cause you probably need to figure out what it is doing. That's both easy and quite hard. If you are technically inclined you might look at either Process Monitor or Process Explorer, both available here. Note I've never used their cloud versions, but the software is generally safe but not exactly for beginners. However, they will show you exactly what files are in use (if I recall Process Monitor is the best in that regard, and filter for the executable name). Whether this helps or not depends on what the I/O is. If it's something like a monitor, very high I/O count is not abnormal. If it's disk or network it might give you a feel for what it is doing (e.g. file or directory names) which might or might not ring a bell with you.

You can try calling Adobe but for something like this I wouldn't recommend it. You can post in the Adobe forums but will also likely need more details to get anywhere.

I hear you Ferguson. Tracing the process to the open files is something on a low priority for me. I have discovered I can kill DESKTOP.EXE without any effects.

I also found a reference to potential problems with older versions. For some reason I had a copy of Elements 10 installed. The uninstall was gone so I had to do a manual delete. Only thing left to do is remove the hive entries which always makes me nervous.

I also found a reference to potential problems with older versions. For some reason I had a copy of Elements 10 installed. The uninstall was gone so I had to do a manual delete. Only thing left to do is remove the hive entries which always makes me nervous.
I've never used elements, but in similar circumstances I've often found it useful to re-install the product entirely, then un-install normally.

There's also a cleaner tool though not sure if it works for elements 10 or not (also never used it):

Use the CC Cleaner Tool for installation issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back