• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Adobe Cloud vs iCloud and Import

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Burrows

Drummer Photographer
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
is wi-fiOperating System: IOS 11 iPad Pro and Windows 10 PC
Exact Lightroom Version (Help menu > System Info): Lightroom Classic CC and Lightroom CC

I am adding an iPad Pro 12.9 rather than a Windows Laptop. One of many questions is Cloud storage.

1. Research is telling me that iCloud has organizational issues.
  2. Adobe Cloud does not allow you to make folders, rather make a folder in photos, cut and past into Adobe Cloud.
  3. Ipad import is via a card reader dongle goes into photos and not into Lightroom. Also cut and drop in to LRCC.
  4. Read that if the DSLR wi-fi you can upload the files. I am unsure of the destination
Thank You,
George

This of Cloud storage as similar to a managed library in Aperture, Capture One Pro or the new Lr CC. You put the files into to the database and it handles where they physically are store. You can create logical collections of the files. A referenced library like in Lr Classic, Bridge, or Capture One Pro (it can do that also) tracks the location of the image in the file system's folders and subfolders.

The wife and I use iPad Pro in the field and iMac at home. We import into the iPad Pro camera roll and them into Lr CC on the iPad. There we can do culling as needed. When we come home, we use Image Capture to import into Lr Classic on the desktop. Many time where we are shooting there little to no wifi coverage or bandwidth to ship home thousands of raw files. BTW, we also copy the raw files to a WD My Wireless Passport Pro. So there are at least two copies of the images brought back.

2 questions: -

1) Once you import them into Lr on your iPad do you delete them from the Camera Roll? OR is it not really an import process more like adding them to the Lr catalog, with the photos remaining in the Camera Roll?

2) Have you tried to edit on your iPad and then load those edits into Lr Classic (without using the cloud)?

Thanks,
Nicholas

2 questions: -

1) Once you import them into Lr on your iPad do you delete them from the Camera Roll? OR is it not really an import process more like adding them to the Lr catalog, with the photos remaining in the Camera Roll?

2) Have you tried to edit on your iPad and then load those edits into Lr Classic (without using the cloud)?

Thanks,
Nicholas

I have not used Lightroom CC. Just got the iPad Pro and the answer would be helpful. I talked with a an Apple salesman who said Google Drive is free w/ unlimited storage. Also you can make files inside the drive which Lightroom will see. Raw and JPEG.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back