• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Adobe Auto-Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

tspear

Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Classic 8.0.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
After a few "bad" updates (the redesigned import of 6 being the most memorable); or more recently the backup zip problem which only seems a few months ago (I know it was longer).
I have got into the habit of waiting before installing a new release from Adobe.

On the latest update, Adobe now offers auto-update. Is anyone using it yet?

After a few "bad" updates (the redesigned import of 6 being the most memorable); or more recently the backup zip problem which only seems a few months ago (I know it was longer).
I have got into the habit of waiting before installing a new release from Adobe.

Maybe we need a large group of people who will rotate the responsibility of downloading the new update when it first appears. Kind of like food tasters for the king. Just kidding. How long you wait is a function of your appetite for adventure vs. risk.

Phil Burton

Nope. I turned it off as soon as I saw it.

Maybe we need a large group of people who will rotate the responsibility of downloading the new update when it first appears. Kind of like food tasters for the king. Just kidding. How long you wait is a function of your appetite for adventure vs. risk.

Phil Burton
I think that it should be the job of the Guru's on this forum ;);)

LOL Yep, we're all daring/crazy.

I recommend turning it off on mission-critical machines. For everyone else, I'll sit on the fence. We frequently see reports of issues that have been fixed in an update, but the user is still using an old version, so having auto update on would help most people. It's fairly easy to roll back to an earlier version that affects your workflow. So I'd say it's a judgment call, based on whether you notice that new versions are available and remember to install them or not!

I have it turned off. I prefer to manage my computer by myself, so I know what and when a change has happened. So It's me who decide when do a LR update (although I usually don't wait long after it's been released).
Just a personal choice !

I agree it is a choice. But the concept of evergreen software has become the norm for many. Being in charge of a product I get it, we jo longer support need to test six plus versions.
However for it to work, you have to trust the software vendor.
So I was curious if Adobe has regained other people's trust yet.

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

From years of experience in IT for a large engineering company where I had to install, test and roll out new software releases I can firmly attest that to be on the cutting edge of technology is where all the blood is.

I do not believe that we need to take any extra steps to test new releases as there are thousands of eager beavers out there jumping on every new release as soon as they can. All you have to do is watch the Adobe forums to see if there any problems in a new release. And then simply wait for the next update that fixes the problems.

Just my 2 cents.

-louie

Based on the comments, I am coming to the conclusion that only brave souls like @Victoria Bampton with multiple machines will be willing to take the risk.

I turned it off as soon as I seen it as well.

I am not sure whee I find the option to disable Auto updates I am using LR Classic CC 8.1
Scroll back to post 7 msmack. If it doesn't show up there, it's not enabled for your system anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back