Adobe Application Manager has not been my friend (and solution)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LRList001

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
6.x
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I run LR6 (6.14) and get along just fine. However, I wanted to install a different Adobe product on trial (nothing to do with LR) and that is where it all went wrong. The product installer (latest, off Adobe website) helpfully told me that my OS was far too old and that it would have to install an old version of the product. Given I have W10 2004 and all the latest patches, this is not a helpful message. It was not able to carry out its intention anyway.
So, I tried to update the application manager, which took me to an incomprehensible page of meaningless boxes and white space. The chat function was letter boxed to a single line. The download didn't do anything. After several attempts, I tried loading one of the URLs in Chrome, which then worked fine. So, Adobe, no you do not support the latest version of Firefox (81), something is broken. Having switched to Chrome, the download worked as expected and the application manager was able to install. It then advised me that I have LR 6 (true) and LR 5 (also true, I had forgotten that it is still installed). 24 hours later, I now have "Lightroom Classic" installed and up-to-date (it is no longer called LR 6), but if I drive the mouse over that line, it shows as LR6 in the pop up. LR5 has disappeared from the list.

LTR Classic is not the same as 6.14
It is not clear if you have classic or 6.14.
If you start it what does it say in "about" (running)?
If it says LTR 6.14, I would change the name in the main windows apps menu from LTR Classic to LTR6.14
If it says Classic, you have the wrong app.

My point exactly.

I have LR 6.14, running under W10. This is what I have stated on the first and second lines of my OP.
When the new (latest) AAM installed and fired up, it correctly noted that I have both LR 5 and LR 6, identifying the correct versions of both.
Interestingly after 24 hours, AAM changed its display to tell me I have LR Classic. I do not. As I put in the OP, if I drive the mouse cursor over that line in AAM, it states LR v6 in the pop-up.

I have posted this information here so that if anyone else finds an Adobe installer telling them that their Windows OS is ancient when it isn't, it could well be a bug between the current installed version of AAM (which will have been old) and the new Adobe installer getting confused as to what exactly is old. As a guess I went to update AAM and as I tried to describe, the AAM installation process is incompatible with Firefox 81, even though Adobe claim that Firefox is a supported browser. Switching to Chrome and painstakingly entering in the URL manually solved the problems.

HTHs

The modern Firefox is not friendly for Apple Mac, it does not work very well in Apple. I tested the latest again, and it is even worse now.
Chrome OK.

The modern Firefox is not friendly for Apple Mac, it does not work very well in Apple. I tested the latest again, and it is even worse now.
Chrome OK.

I have no information about the Apple Mac, as I use Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back