• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Adjustment Brush Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erno Goldfinger

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
The adjustment brush has no effect when I use it. I have used it successfully before but think I may have pressed something by mistake.I have tried using brush A/B and trying all the different changes that are available. This includes the rest button at the bottom etc. Would appreciate any advice. Thank you.

are the buttons showing up on the image?

done a turn off/on

I'm sure someone will have the answer but it's way past bed time for me

are the buttons showing up on the image?

done a turn off/on

I'm sure someone will have the answer but it's way past bed time for me

Hi Ian,

Yes the buttons show up and it appears like I would expect it to. The buttons get placed in the picture the sliders are in full view in the panel on the right and when I move them nothing.

If you mean the on/off switch by the 'reset and close' yes I have tried this and it is still not working.

Thank you for trying to help.

Press the 'O' key (from 'Overlay'). Do you see something turning red in the image? Overlay colors the mask red, so you see what you've painted. If nothing is red, you didn't paint anything somehow.

Hi Johan

Previously I have see the red mask that you are talking about but I don't get that anymore. I have obviously changed something.
When I use the adjustment brush described as above nothing I have pressed the 'O' key and there is no red mask or anything to indicate it has any effect.
Is that what you meant?
Thanks.
Press the 'O' key (from 'Overlay'). Do you see something turning red in the image? Overlay colors the mask red, so you see what you've painted. If nothing is red, you didn't paint anything somehow.

Last edited:
Dear Johan/Ian

I had the density turned all the way down and it is now working! Thank you for your help maybe I should buy one of your books Johan.

Nick

Last edited:
Dear Johan/Ian

I had the density turned all the way down and it is now working! Thank you for your help maybe I should buy one of your books Johan.

Nick

Been there done also but usually with the flow slider however I was damn too tired think about that last night.

TIP for those learning; like me: double click on "effects" will zero all sliders....double click on the slide name will zero that slider

I'm having the same problem with adjustment brush not working. When I press K I get the little circles on the image but any adjustment I do is applied to the whole image. It was working properly before and just stopped. My density slider is all the way up. Any ideas what may be the problem?

I'm having the same problem with adjustment brush not working. When I press K I get the little circles on the image but any adjustment I do is applied to the whole image. It was working properly before and just stopped. My density slider is all the way up. Any ideas what may be the problem?
have you used the mouse to click on the brush instead of using "K". As I type and fiddle in LR looking for the answer I think Johan has the given the correct answer; global adjustments.

try doing this as I do: click on the adjustment brush> zero all brush settings (double click on 'effect'; top lhs of panel)> brush roughly over the area to be adjusted > with the brush still active move the sliders to suit your adjustments required > then brush with more detail. A thought while typing: Hit "H" if the adjustment brush button/s are not showing ...... I always have them visible
Now the reason I do it that way is a new brush will not be loaded with any adjustments which sort of annoys me at times. yep; cranky old bugga lol
Let me know if that is not making sense. So easy to show if we were on the same computer.

Sound like you are using the global sliders. Pressing K doesn't make to sliders change to brush slkders. You have to select one of those circles to get the adjustment brush sliders.

I don't use K
Sound like you are using the global sliders. Pressing K doesn't make to sliders change to brush slkders. You have to select one of those circles to get the adjustment brush sliders.

You're right. I realize that now, but the problem is that the adjustment sliders no longer come up. I clicked on the button

I realize that now, but the problem is that the adjustment sliders no longer come up. I clicked on the button

Have you (inadvertently) collapsed the sliders panel? See the attached screenshot, the small arrow at the right-hand side of the "Effects" line should be pointing down to expose the Adjustment Brush sliders. If it's pointing left as in my screenshot, the sliders are collapsed, in which case clicking on it will expand the panel to expose the sliders.
Screenshot_10_03_2016__07_40.png

Have you (inadvertently) collapsed the sliders panel? See the attached screenshot, the small arrow at the right-hand side of the "Effects" line should be pointing down to expose the Adjustment Brush sliders. If it's pointing left as in my screenshot, the sliders are collapsed, in which case clicking on it will expand the panel to expose the sliders.
View attachment 7342

Yea!!! That did it. Thank you so much.

Screen%20Shot%202017-06-09%20at%2011.04.38%20AM.png
I have the same issue, but none of the above solutions seem the fix. I know I've clicked something to put the adjustment brush in a different mode, but don't know what. I used to be able to glide around the photo and the brush would paint white around the edges of the subject.

I've closed out Lightroom, deleted the preference file & reset the sliders numerous times to no avail. This happened after I unsuccessfully tried changing the brush color to black. There is no change or effect noticeable when I move around the photo. If I click "O" I see reddish pink where the brush has been, but don't see the change in the actual photo after clicking off "O". Individual sliders work.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thanks, Johan. I'd love to show that, where would I find it?

sliders

Don't know if this is the adjustment part you're referring to. These are the same values I've been using.

Ok color is back to white, but I believe the rest of the values are as they've always been when it's worked. Tried blue, no difference. The overlay works, but doesn't make any change to the photo.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 12.38.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-06-09 at 12.38.27 PM.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 607
You can't paint with white and expect a white egde to appear. It's a color overlay, not a solid color. If you want to paint a white edge with the brush, then set Exposure to maximum (I believe you can set it to +5 stops).

You've made my day, Johan! I appreciate your patience. Thank you sooo much. I obviously changed that setting at some point, but didn't know which one needed adjusting. Thank you for the vignette suggestion, but just trying to clean up dark edges that I want white - want the subject to pop, but lighting didn't accomplish that, not wanting any vignette effect. I'm sure I'm not using LightRoom to the best of its features. I've just found little videos here and there to accomplish what I need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back