• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Adding / extend a guide line in a zoomed part: automatically scroll to the area outside the visible part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biff

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
When one drags / extends a guide line starting in the magnified part of the image going to the part outsied the enlargement can Lightroom automatically scroll to that part?

What type of guideline?
Which Module are you in?
More details?

Sorry, a guided line:
ZcJxtpW.png

As I draw each line I cannot get a guided line to NOT extend to the image border- no matter what the magnification is set to.
I draw a 'short' line and Lr extends it to the image border. While one line is active and extended you can click on the Zoom values beside the Navigator to change the zoom.
Only when I click a second time for a new line does the first line shorten to the click-points.
So what are you seeing?
ScreenShot044.jpg

ScreenShot045.jpg

If you zoom out to "Fit" then the line (to the image borders) is still adjustable in angle by dragging one of the 'click points' you defined.

I am not real sure why you would be in a 'magnified' view- It is the total image that will be transformed.

Sorry for my bad expression. And thank you for trying.

Yes, Lightroom automatically extends the line.

I zoom in and set the beginning of a line at the left and want to drag it to the right side, to the right boarder but as I am zoomed in I have to stop dragging, zoom out to show the entire image and go on dragging the line to the right boarder. If one could scroll through the image one would not need to stop dragging and could do it to the destination point.
raNXhTG.gif

Or is there a better way to set those guided lines. When I place them while the image is set to FIT I am not able to position the starting and ending points exactly.

You could set the guides roughly while in "Fit" view, then zoom in to adjust them more precisely. I don't think there is any way to make the image scroll as you extend the guide, unfortunately.

If you look at the zoom tool, you may notice that the view inside that tool is the same as the view outside the tool when you are zoomed in that much. In other words; zooming in does not give you anything that you do not already have.

You could set the guides roughly while in "Fit" view, then zoom in to adjust them more precisely.
Yes, that exactly is the manner I do it all the time, but doing this basic work for many images in this manner is a bit unconfortable.

If you look at the zoom tool, you may notice that the view inside that tool is the same as the view outside the tool when you are zoomed in that much. In other words; zooming in does not give you anything that you do not already have.
Unfortunately it does with me, the zoom / magnification is not the problem actually, but the aligning: when I (try to) align in the FIT view (or a more or less zoomed in view) the mouse positioning is too rough so I am not able to hit the starting and ending point so I have to zoom in to do it, cannot find any other way. May be / obviously I am missing something. But what?

Last edited:
Try the following method. First apply the guide roughly. Then hold down the Alt-key and adjust it. Holding down the Alt-key will smooth the movements, but for some reason only when you adjust an already set guide, not when you apply the guide.

Yes, I had tried this ALT option, it works better (or at all) in 8.1 now than in 7.5 but in the FIT view it is to rough, too. There is no smooth continued movement of the pointer but it jerks / jumps...strange, I just wanted to record a video, but suddenly it seems to work (after setting and releasing and then dragging the line points again) with pressing the ALT key. May be I made a mistake.

So the most efficient manner to aling is to first roughly set the line and after adjust its start and ending points by pressing the ALT key. All doable in the FIT view now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back