• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Import Adding color label on import, bug or feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwatkins54

DaveWRI
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
I read a hint that said to add a color label to each photo on import that you can put its name, e.g., purple, in the title field and voila that grid shows the color as does the meta data.
However if you then try to filter on a color photos using the filter bar they are not found. The issue appears to be capitilazation... it doesn't work if you use "purple" on import but if you use "Purple" it does and all is well. I haven't tested the other colors but I presume they'll follow this behavior. As noted in the title I'm not sure if this is a bug or a design feature, but its perplexing so I thought I'd share

The Label field contains the "Text" associated with the Color Label Set that is current. In the Default Color Label Set, "purple" is assigned to the purple color label. You need to put this text value in the Label field of the Metadata Preset assigned to the import preset or assigned at import.

Thanks. I did have the term "purple" in the Label field of the import preset. And it DID work in that the grid shows the purple color and I can search for "purple" in the "any searchable field" . BUT the filter on the bottom row does NOT work UNLESS have capitalized Purple... it doesn't like the lower case purple.... even though the part that colors the grid does :)

BUT the filter on the bottom row does NOT work UNLESS have capitalized Purple... it doesn't like the lower case purple...
Take a look at your current (the one that is checked) Color Label Set
Frome the Library menu {Metadata}{Color Label Set}{Edit...} Look at the characters in the field for the purple label. If you are using the Default it will be "Purple" with a capital "P". The Toolbar Filter is looking for the value in the purple field and is doing a case sensitive search. The text search in "any searchable field" found on the filter bar is not case sensitive ane will return images the have "Purple", "purple", "pURPLE" or "purple-people-eater" in any of the searchable fields.

Take a look at your current (the one that is checked) Color Label Set
Frome the Library menu {Metadata}{Color Label Set}{Edit...} Look at the characters in the field for the purple label. If you are using the Default it will be "Purple" with a capital "P". The Toolbar Filter is looking for the value in the purple field and is doing a case sensitive search. The text search in "any searchable field" found on the filter bar is not case sensitive ane will return images the have "Purple", "purple", "pURPLE" or "purple-people-eater" in any of the searchable fields.
Aha! Got it ... thanks much

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back