• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Lightroom Classic users who are running 13.3... 13.3.1 is now out with the following bug fixes:
    1. Location fields go missing after syncing the images
    2. Map Search is not returning a result
    3. There are no notifications for new likes in 13.3
    4. Crash while applying Remove on Windows
    5. When editing with Smart Previews instead of Originals, the source heal/clone area cannot be moved
    6. Mismatch between the brush size and the mask created
    There are still outstanding new bugs, mostly around sync and writing to XMP, so if these are essential in your workflow, you may want to stick to 13.2 for now. See the list at the top of our blog post for more details.

Publish Services Added Order sorting in LrC's Publish Services doesn't seem to follow the order of adding to the collection

johngpt

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 14 Sonoma
I use Publish Services to publish images to Flickr. I've outlined in yellow, Sort: Added Order. I've outlined in red, the image I just now published to Flickr.
Most of the time, the most recently published image will be at the top left of the content area, as I have the sort order as Z over A.
Every now and then, when I click Publish, the published image does not go to that top left spot.
Sometimes, it can end up way out of sight. Thankfully, this time it's still in the top row.

I looked at the Metadata Date. I've outlined it in red. Then looked at the metadata dates of the images on either side of it. The metadata date of this image falls in between the dates of those on either side.

When I've searched this forum using "added+order," I've found out that most responses suggest that Added Order uses the date that an image was added to the catalog.
If that were true for the Publish Services collection, then I'd expect that this image would be way down in the content area, among the images that had been added to the catalog in 2021.

This behaviour, that seems to be using metadata date as its sorting criterium, is a recent phenomenon. It used to be that I could publish images that had last been worked upon years before, and those published images would be at the top left of this content area. It seems to have started with one of the LrC v13 dot versions.

I could develop a workflow that assesses the metadata date of an image I'd like to publish, do something to the image that would change that metadata, and then use Publish Services.
But I'm curious if anyone else has noticed this phenomenon.

Currently, I'm using LrC 13.2 with the MBP M3 Pro, running macOS 14.4.
out-of-added-order.jpg

Update to my original post. In my original post, I'd hypothesized that Added Order was using metadata date.

Just a moment ago, I used Publish Services to do my usual posting to Flickr, and as you'll see in the attached screen shot, the image ended up down in the third row from the top. I last did something to the image yesterday, 03 April, same as the image that is at the top left.

On either side of this image, the metadata dates are 27 Feb and 26 Feb.

The capture date of this image is 20 Feb, the same as the image to its left. The capture date of the image to its right is 25 Feb.

Now I'm really confused.

I'd never had this behaviour in Lr 6.14, nor in LrC 12.x.

I'm not sure how I'd determine whether the phenomenon is due to the LrC version or its interaction with the macOS Sonoma, the OS that came with this new Mac in November last year.

Attachments

• Screenshot-2024-04-04-at-11.13.50 AM-03.jpg
    Screenshot-2024-04-04-at-11.13.50 AM-03.jpg
    317.4 KB · Views: 23
I'm not 100% certain how Added Order is handled in a publish service, but for collections and folders Added Order is the order in which the contained images were added to that container, the capture date or metadata date is irrelevant to that specific sort order. So if you add an existing image to a collection it should appear at either the beginning or the end of the list (depending on sort direction), and that would be irrespective of the actual capture date of that image. That explains why a derivative image returned to LrC after the original was edited in Photoshop will appear at the end of the list if the sort order of the container is Added Order.

I'm not 100% certain how Added Order is handled in a publish service, but for collections and folders Added Order is the order in which the contained images were added to that container, the capture date or metadata date is irrelevant to that specific sort order. So if you add an existing image to a collection it should appear at either the beginning or the end of the list (depending on sort direction), and that would be irrespective of the actual capture date of that image. That explains why a derivative image returned to LrC after the original was edited in Photoshop will appear at the end of the list if the sort order of the container is Added Order.
Hi, Jim. That's how it used to be with the Publish Services. With sort order as Z over A, the most recently published image was always at the top left.
This new behaviour began with LrC 13.1 or 13.2.
I noticed that this new behaviour seemed to be related to metadata date, but today it didn't follow that.
Now I'm not sure what it's doing.

Back