• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

"Add Some Photos" Window

Status
Not open for further replies.

john w c

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
After updating to Classic 11.3, LR only opens to a “Add Some Photos” window. My catalog does not open. To open LR with my catalog I must click my Lightroom Catalog. Ircat folder. Can I bypass this “Add Some Photos” window and open LR with my catalog as usual by selecting the LR icon in the dock? Thanks

That "Add Some Photos" is not Lightroom, but probably Apple Photos. Do not use it. You can still launch Lightroom from the dock, but because the name was changed ('CC' was dropped) the dock icon has become disconnected. Remove the current dock icon (drag it off the dock), launch Lightroom by double clicking the catalog and then right-click the new dock icon and choose 'Options - Keep in dock'.

Actually, if you are opening a new, empty, catalog LR will display a "Click the Import button to begin" message where the grid usually is.

Snap1.jpg

If this is what you get as opposed to the Apple Photos idea mentioned by Johan, then you are opening the wrong catalog. In this case, close LR, then using Finder double click on the most recent good catalog (usually in Pictures -> Lightroom) - rather than the empty one - to open that catalog. If you have upgraded LR from an earlier version recently LR may tell you that the catalog needs to be updated to the latest version. If that happens let it do so.

After LR opens it should look just like you remember with all your previous work in place. Be sure that your latest imports and edits are present to assure you have the right catalog. Go to the General tab on the Edit (Lightroom on mac) menu and change the "default catalog" to the currently open one. I like to set this to a specific catalog path and name rather than setting it to "most recent" in case for some reason I needed to open some other catalog for some arcane reason this will prevent it from mistakenly continue to open that other catalog on subsequent launches.

To add to Califdan comment, I use a shortcut that points to the catalog itself (the .lrcat file) instead of the default shortcut that points to the LR program. That way, I'm sure to always open the correct catalog...even if LR's name is changed !
BTW, this seems more logical to me, because what I really want to open is the catalog, starting LR to open it is a OS task.
When using multiple catalogs, just create a shortcut per catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back