• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Add Date & Time to an Image where neither are visible (in Metadata) now

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safariholic

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Am in midst of a major Trip Edit and Sort and have found a few (typically Panorama Images) where the Metadata does not have Capture Time nor Capture Date, so I have nowhere to amend nor alter it, so that the Image will drop into my sequence in Chronological Order.

Apologies if its obvious to you, but this has me stumped. Step-by-Step Idiot-proof guidance would be appreciated (I know how good I am)
Screenshot (10).png

Many thanks for any time, advice and input. It really is appreciated.

Am in midst of a major Trip Edit and Sort and have found a few (typically Panorama Images) where the Metadata does not have Capture Time nor Capture Date, so I have nowhere to amend nor alter it, so that the Image will drop into my sequence in Chronological Order.

Apologies if its obvious to you, but this has me stumped. Step-by-Step Idiot-proof guidance would be appreciated (I know how good I am)View attachment 15598

Many thanks for any time, advice and input. It really is appreciated.

It is found in the Metadata menu drop down list. Also IIRC the Capture date field in the Metadata panel is editable

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As Cletus says Metadata Menu, or-
Click on the [Capture TIME] in the metadata panel and it opens up the dialog to change-
ScreenShot049.jpg

ScreenShot060.jpg

But safariholic's screenshot shows that the "Capture Time" field is not visible in the Metadata panel. Why would that be?

But safariholic's screenshot shows that the "Capture Time" field is not visible in the Metadata panel. Why would that be?
His panorama image is a jpeg, so it has been stitched in some other software than Lightroom. That could have made it lose that info.

It is found in the Metadata menu drop down list. Also IIRC the Capture date field in the Metadata panel is editable

In the Metadata drop-down (see my Screenshot, pls ?), there is NO Capture Date nor Time, hence my confusion.

No idea what IIRC is nor where to find it.

Sorry

But Thanks

His panorama image is a jpeg, so it has been stitched in some other software than Lightroom. That could have made it lose that info.
Johan

You are correct. Image taken in Panorama mode on iPhone.

Any way I can recover that date or Insert it Manually or force there to be a specific Date/Time attached to image.

That way, I can at least stick Image in the right place (aka order) in my Album.

Many many Thanks

Johan

You are correct. Image taken in Panorama mode on iPhone.

Any way I can recover that date or Insert it Manually or force there to be a specific Date/Time attached to image.

That way, I can at least stick Image in the right place (aka order) in my Album.

Many many Thanks
As others have already said, you should be able to do that by using the menu 'Metadata - Edit Capture Time', but I can't try it because I do not have any images without such a date. The reason why you do not see the capture time in your metadata panel may be because you use Lightroom 5. I don't know if Lightroom 5 showed the capture time in the default settings. Apparently it did not. You may need to select another view here:
Screenshot (10).png

I have LR6 on an old MAC so went in to check since you have LR5.

I was able to expose and change the DATE CREATED but you have to expose the IPTC metadata. Where you have DEFAULT selected, change that to a collection that shows IPTC.

Once you change the data, you will need to SAVE the metadata change to see the new date in the JPG file.

As others have already said, you should be able to do that by using the menu 'Metadata - Edit Capture Time', but I can't try it because I do not have any images without such a date. The reason why you do not see the capture time in your metadata panel may be because you use Lightroom 5. I don't know if Lightroom 5 showed the capture time in the default settings. Apparently it did not. You may need to select another view here:
View attachment 15618

Johan

"Should" is the key word. BUT it doesn't, since there is NO Capture Date/Time indicated to be changed.

Clicking on 'Defaults' (in Metatdata) reveals an interesting series of Options, but sadly none add a Capture Date or Time.

What 'other view can I select' as you suggest ............ ?

THANK YOU once again

Clicking on 'Defaults' (in Metatdata) reveals an interesting series of Options, but sadly none add a Capture Date or Time.

What 'other view can I select' as you suggest ............ ?
Are you sure? Clicking on a different metadata preset (especially "EXIF & IPTC") should list the Capture Date and Time in an editable field.

I have LR6 on an old MAC so went in to check since you have LR5.

I was able to expose and change the DATE CREATED but you have to expose the IPTC metadata. Where you have DEFAULT selected, change that to a collection that shows IPTC.

Once you change the data, you will need to SAVE the metadata change to see the new date in the JPG file.
Paul

Thanks, but once I exposed IPTC (in Metadata Default), I could still not see anywhere to change Data.

Pls persevere and reveal where I should be looking ... ?

Thanks again

exposed IPTC (in Metadata Default
Not sure, but it sounds like you are still using DEFAULT. The IPTC section of DEFAULT does not contain DATE CREATED
  1. Change the METADATA selection to IPTC (UNTITLED.JPG)
  2. Scroll down till you find 'DATE CREATED'
  3. Click on the current value and make your changes (UNTITLED 2.JPG)
  4. Step off DATA CREATED
  5. Save your metadata changes (CNTL-S or scroll up to save metadata changes)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 161
  • Untitled 2.jpg
    Untitled 2.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 162
You keep on talking about the metadata panel only, but that is just a view. You can't edit the capture date or time in that panel anyway. Have you tried the 'Metadata - Edit Capture Time' menu yet???????? That is where you can edit this.

You keep on talking about the metadata panel only, but that is just a view. You can't edit the capture date or time in that panel anyway. Have you tried the 'Metadata - Edit Capture Time' menu yet???????? That is where you can edit this.
Johan

Sorry to be so exasperatingly stupid. I am actually trying quite hard, but have way too little experience & knowledge - perhaps that is why I am asking Qs and not answering them.

I appear NOT to have tried the 'Metadata - Edit Capture Time' menu.

So that I may try this avenue out, could you give me some guidance as to where I might find it.

Thanks so much

I appear NOT to have tried the 'Metadata - Edit Capture Time' menu.

So that I may try this avenue out, could you give me some guidance as to where I might find it.

Thanks so much

Instruction to use the menu were in the very first reply which was from me. This was reinforced in the very second reply.

Instruction to use the menu were in the very first reply which was from me. This was reinforced in the very second reply.
I realize that the instructions I provided would not change the correct date after reading Cletus's last comment. Here's what I think are the correct and hope detailed enough instructions.

Attachments

• Change Date.pdf
    155.5 KB · Views: 180
I realize that the instructions I provided would not change the correct date after reading Cletus's last comment. Here's what I think are the correct and hope detailed enough instructions.
Paul

Thank you so much. Perfect way to guide me - I was looking at the wrong MetaData.

I never knew there were TWO.

Your Patience AND Guidance were much appreciated.

Job Done - Images all now 'in order'.

Guru Clee

Your patience and Guidance hit levels I have hitherto never encountered with other LR Members, of whatever status.

Was it Confucius who said - "It's so easy, when you know How".

Now, I know there are TWO places for Metadata, I will be 'the wiser for it', and not need, nor have to rely, on your type of assistance.

I am truly sorry for having troubled you.

Paul - You Sir are a Gent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back