• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Actions no longer working

Status
Not open for further replies.

zooey

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I bought an action from a guy in a photography forum nearly ten years ago. It creates matted and framed images that I use on my desktop as a slideshow. It was fine when I last used it in July, but a few weeks later (with one of the more recent updates to PS), it stopped working. I get lots of error messages now that it cannot do various steps. For the moment, I've gone back to Photoshop 21.2.11 (the one with the mermaid) and all is well. However, I have a sneaking suspicion I won't be allowed to keep this old version for much longer, so thought I would go to the Adobe exchange to look for a replacement action. I found one almost identical and assumed because it is much newer, it would be OK. That doesn't work in the latest version of PS either and having contacted the gentleman who created it, he knows it doesn't work. I'm not blaming him, but there clearly seems to be a problem with these kind of actions and Photoshop 22.?. (Sorry, I haven't tested it with every version. As I said, it worked in PS22 until July, but keeled over some time in August). I've Googled the problem, but it doesn't seem to be a known thing. Can anyone advise please?

I bought an action from a guy in a photography forum nearly ten years ago. It creates matted and framed images that I use on my desktop as a slideshow. It was fine when I last used it in July, but a few weeks later (with one of the more recent updates to PS), it stopped working. I get lots of error messages now that it cannot do various steps. For the moment, I've gone back to Photoshop 21.2.11 (the one with the mermaid) and all is well. However, I have a sneaking suspicion I won't be allowed to keep this old version for much longer, so thought I would go to the Adobe exchange to look for a replacement action. I found one almost identical and assumed because it is much newer, it would be OK. That doesn't work in the latest version of PS either and having contacted the gentleman who created it, he knows it doesn't work. I'm not blaming him, but there clearly seems to be a problem with these kind of actions and Photoshop 22.?. (Sorry, I haven't tested it with every version. As I said, it worked in PS22 until July, but keeled over some time in August). I've Googled the problem, but it doesn't seem to be a known thing. Can anyone advise please?

Your best option is to return to the author and ask for an update that works in the latest version of PS.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What are the precise errors? I've lots of actions that I've written over the years, and in my experience errors are unlikely to be caused by a change in version of PS. It's far more common to be something related to the image - eg a line in the action might assume 8 bit images bit you've sent it a 16 bit file.

If the action steps are visible, you may also be able to resolve them yourself, but Cletus is right about contacting the author.

What are the precise errors? I've lots of actions that I've written over the years, and in my experience errors are unlikely to be caused by a change in version of PS. It's far more common to be something related to the image - eg a line in the action might assume 8 bit images bit you've sent it a 16 bit file.

If the action steps are visible, you may also be able to resolve them yourself, but Cletus is right about contacting the author.
Thank you for the advice. We've looked at the steps, but most of them are over my head. I will check for the 8 bit/16 bit though :)

I only mention 8/16 bit as it's one that I often hit, but the error is mine for sending those 16 bit files (or not adding an 8 bit conversion in the action).

It may be that in looking at the steps (which is good) you have accidentally changed one or more. So as well as checking what you are currently sending to the action, I'd suggest reinstalling the action from the original download or a backup.

I only mention 8/16 bit as it's one that I often hit, but the error is mine for sending those 16 bit files (or not adding an 8 bit conversion in the action).

It may be that in looking at the steps (which is good) you have accidentally changed one or more. So as well as checking what you are currently sending to the action, I'd suggest reinstalling the action from the original download or a backup.
It was the Layer via Cut that stopped working because it's now greyed out. I can (sort of) stumble through the steps and do Layer via Copy manually instead. I get a finished article, but it's not quite right. I found a better solution by re-installing my old version of CS5. The LR export now opens that for the mat and frame action only. It works perfectly! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back