• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Acronis for backup of Lightroom?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smorton

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Greetings:

Do any of you use Acronis for backing up Lightroom photos? Any certain type of Acronis product work, such as True Image (or whatever it is called?

Thank you.

SM

Greetings:

Do any of you use Acronis for backing up Lightroom photos? Any certain type of Acronis product work, such as True Image (or whatever it is called?

Thank you.

SM

I use Acronis as a second backup (TimeMachine is the first). True Image is the personal backup app. The purpose is not to just backup Lightroom, but ALL of your critical user data.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sorry to ask dumb questions, but "critical user data" would include Lightroom?

I have several external hard drives attached to my computer at all times. Can Acronis back up selected folders and hard drives?

Thanks

SM

Yes , it can ~ provided you have sufficent alternate storage and manage the process effectively

Sorry to ask dumb questions, but "critical user data" would include Lightroom?

I have several external hard drives attached to my computer at all times. Can Acronis back up selected folders and hard drives?

Thanks

SM

Critical User data is any user data that the user can’t afford to lose WHEN a disk failed as it will eventually. I back up data on three disks. But the Acronis backu is restricted to one output drive so I need to be large enough to backup all data on all drives selected.

RAID 5 or 6 with 4, 4Tb drives spanned as
'cloud' backup attached to your system. "your personal cloud backup with raid to prevent a catastrophe"
I don't understand the meaning of this statement.
Multiple copies of the same data scattered across multiple disks does not constitute a backup. It represents only replicated copies of the same data including any data errors introduced by the user. Furthermore, the single point of failure in the RAID controller renders ALL copies of the data unrecoverable when the proprietary RAID controller hardware fails.

+1 what Cletus said -- a backup (among other things) needs to be able to restore to a point in time, especially given today's ransomware malware. If you can't do something like "restore everything (or a specific thing) to what it was 2 weeks ago" you do not really have an effective backup.

Important also: Whatever backup technique you choose, find a way to test it periodically to make sure it (still) works.

Critical User data is any user data that the user can’t afford to lose WHEN a disk failed as it will eventually.

One issue is that backup programs often have their own definition of this, which may be contrary to yours. Backing up EVERYTHING is an effective solution but can be quite expensive (for example you may be backing up page files, swap files, temp files, etc.) But just taking defaults on a selective backup may be ineffective, especially if how you lay out your storage is different from what some guy programming it assumed (e.g. I never put my photos in "Pictures"). Find a way to be sure your critical data is actually backed up.

Find a way to be sure your critical data is actually backed up.
And you should test your backup scheme. System backup have two parts: Backup (what the backup program actually stores in the backup location) and Restore ( the recovery process). You should be able to invoke the Restore process and restore selected critical files to a staging location. If you find that your precious image files can’t be recovered using the Restore process, it is better to find this out before you need to recover from a crashed disk drive.

Critical User data is any user data that the user can’t afford to lose WHEN a disk failed as it will eventually. I back up data on three disks. But the Acronis backu is restricted to one output drive so I need to be large enough to backup all data on all drives selected.

Which is EXACTLY why I use Retrospect. Retrospect allows me to restore a file from a given date, when I have 10, 20, more backups of that same file on different dates. I had to do this kind of restore only one hour ago. www.retrospect.com. Desktop version is quite affordable.

Which is EXACTLY why I use Retrospect. Retrospect allows me to restore a file from a given date, when I have 10, 20, more backups of that same file on different dates. I had to do this kind of restore only one hour ago. www.retrospect.com. Desktop version is quite affordable.
The original question was about the Backup app called Acronis which I use and so could answer authoritatively. Any real backup app should be able to do what you describe. From what I see Retrospect is a subscription product while Acronis is a single purchase standalone license. That subscription raises some big issues about the availability of your backup data. when the subscription ends.

The original question was about the Backup app called Acronis which I use and so could answer authoritatively. Any real backup app should be able to do what you describe. From what I see Retrospect is a subscription product while Acronis is a single purchase standalone license. That subscription raises some big issues about the availability of your backup data. when the subscription ends.
Cletus,

Actually Retrospect is a one-time purchase, for major upgrades. The subscription part is only if you need annual maintenance. if I were running a business IT environment, I would get that subscription, no questions asked. But as an individual user backing up a home LAN, I have managed quite nicely without that subscription. Retrospect support answers most questions, even without that support subscription. Minor upgrades, such as 16.5, are always free.

That isn't to say that all is rainbows and unicorns with Retrospect. it can be complicated to set up properly. But I have yet to find an alternative that has the same combination of functionalty and cost as Retrospect. Acronis certainly is not that alternative. Nor are any of the single-system-centric competitors to Acronis.

Phil Burton

But I have yet to find an alternative that has the same combination of functionalty and cost as Retrospect.

That also describes Goodsync. It is incredibly feature rich, but extremely complicated to set up due to really awful UI design and defaulting, as well as a very manual restore to point-in-time process. But it is the only product I've run across that does deep integrity checking AND has a client/server version (which can make it incredibly fast if you can install a version of it on your backup target device. And their support staff, which are very responsive, are arrogant and not patient at all. Makes me hesitant to recommend it.

Why can't vendors make a tool that is both really functional and also simple to use? I personally use Goodsync and Cloudberry (the latter very user friendly, and a lot of top level features, but not nearly as robust in terms of integrity features, and fairly non-responsive support -- but still a very nice product I do recommend to most people).

I looked at the Personal version and found this and no standalone option:

Retrospect Solo for Windows
$3.99 per month$39 per year
Retrospect Solo for Mac
$3.99 per month$39 per year
Cletus,

On the ASSUMPTION that you have multiple systems to back up, this is what I was referring to. $119 to purchase, all upgrades free until V 17 is announced. Discount on that upgrade. As a Windows user, I have no experience with Time Machine but it's entirely possible that in an all Mac home network, you don't need this product.

1571974020519.png

Cletus,

On the ASSUMPTION that you have multiple systems to back up, this is what I was referring to. $119 to purchase, all upgrades free until V 17 is announced. Discount on that upgrade. As a Windows user, I have no experience with Time Machine but it's entirely possible that in an all Mac home network, you don't need this product.

View attachment 13251
TimeMachine is just another System wide BackUp app. It could certainly be the only backup app needed for most people. I use it to backup to a NAS (TimeCapsule) and to a Local EHD. So everything is backed up twice. Acronis has a single user perpetual license for $49. It is essentially the same as Retrospect Solo subscription plan for $39/yr.
I got burned by CrashPlan when they abandoned their Cloud product for individuals. I also got hosed by Carbonite when I switched to a Mac with external drives from Windows and needed to backup multiple computers.
Acronis fits my needs and gives me the additional backup (3 total) that I am comfortable with at home.

Hmm, i'm using CrashPlan as an individual still yet...
"It's really happening: CrashPlan is closing its personal backup service completely—yes, parent company Code42 is shutting down the servers—on October 23, 2018. If you’re still clinging to your CrashPlan account, now’s the time to figure out your next move."
https://www.pcworld.com/article/3219364/crashplan-alternatives-options-for-home-users.htmlYour app is no longer updated and Cloud features are no longer available UNLESS you have a business subscription.

However my subscription was transfered to 'business' as an individual (not a business) i can still use it.

Of Course you can because you are paying business rates. Any individual could do that. I even thought about it but decided the cost to continue was not worth the value received while it was worth the value of the personal subscription price.

Any individual could do that.
I know a lot of services that only can be purchased by businesses and not individuals. I was assuming you meant that.
Also 10,- euro is hardly a 'business' rate

However my subscription was transfered to 'business' as an individual (not a business) i can still use it.

Mine did the same. I remained on their discounted rate until now, but their price just went up to standard business rates so I’m in the process of moving to Backblaze. It can’t back up the NAS, but I can live with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back