• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Are you using the cloud-based Lightroom apps for iOS, Android, Windows, Mac, and Web? Then you'll love my book, Adobe Lightroom - Edit on the Go!

You'll learn how to use the Lightroom cloud ecosystem to organize, edit and share your photos. You'll also come to understand the thought processes used by professional photographers when they're editing their own photos, so you can transform your photos quickly and easily. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Accessing photos from previous Lightroom CC account.

Status
Not open for further replies.

einar-hugbunadarsetrid.is

Adobe in Iceland
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom CC
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. iOS
How can you get your images from a Lightroom CC cloud account, you can no longer use as you have moved between countries, to a new Lightroom CC account you have bought an annual subscription to via redemption code? That is you can no longer use your previous Adobe ID for the new subscription.

That's an interesting question Einar, and one I've never come across before. Let me see what I can find out. Which two countries are involved? And can you still access the photos from the first account at the moment?

It's a question that's come up in a thread on the U2U, which I took part in. Given that Adobe don't appear to have any "back-door" method of moving the cloud-based assets from one account to another whilst retaining the assets in the cloud, we came up with a couple of suggestions.....both of which require downloading the entire contents of the old account and uploading them to the other, so not ideal. However:

1. You could use the Downloader (assuming it's still working correctly, though I have my doubts!) to download all the assets related to the old account to a local hard drive, which then would need to be imported (and thus uploaded) into the new account. The major downside (apart from the time it would take) is that all the existing album organisation would be lost, as it's not stored in XMP.

2. The method I personally would use, in the event I needed to, would be to create a new Classic catalog and enable it to sync with the old account. That would act like the downloader, but the big advantage is that the existing cloud albums would be recreated on download into collections. Once completed, that catalog could be migrated back into Lightroom desktop running under the new account, and all the collections would be retained as albums in the new account.

Neither is ideal, of course, but given time it would get the job done to some degree.

Hi Victoria. I am not sure what the original country is, but I recently got certified to add Lr CC, Photography plans CC and Adobe CC for Individuals solutions to our Adobe Gold Reseller products in Iceland. Iceland does not have an Adobe e-store, so I have been fighting for this for 3 years, using all my Adobe contacts and friends, especially at Adobe MAX, where I have been a TA for some years. I finally won the battle and now I have a client that moved to Iceland and needs to merge his images from the previous Lr CC to the new Lr CC. With best regards, - Einar

Oh boy, yes, it's a scenario that's pretty rare. If you can find out the origin country, Rikk's said he'll run it past Jeff to see if there's anything that can be done "behind the scenes" yet. Otherwise it might be down to Jim's workarounds.

It's a question that's come up in a thread on the U2U, which I took part in. Given that Adobe don't appear to have any "back-door" method of moving the cloud-based assets from one account to another whilst retaining the assets in the cloud, we came up with a couple of suggestions.....both of which require downloading the entire contents of the old account and uploading them to the other, so not ideal. However:

1. You could use the Downloader (assuming it's still working correctly, though I have my doubts!) to download all the assets related to the old account to a local hard drive, which then would need to be imported (and thus uploaded) into the new account. The major downside (apart from the time it would take) is that all the existing album organisation would be lost, as it's not stored in XMP.

2. The method I personally would use, in the event I needed to, would be to create a new Classic catalog and enable it to sync with the old account. That would act like the downloader, but the big advantage is that the existing cloud albums would be recreated on download into collections. Once completed, that catalog could be migrated back into Lightroom desktop running under the new account, and all the collections would be retained as albums in the new account.

Neither is ideal, of course, but given time it would get the job done to some degree.
Hi Jim,
The second options sounds more interesting.

Do you know how long an end user can access his photos after he has not renewed his old subscriptions?
- Einar

But would lose keywords and people?

But would lose keywords and people?
Ah yes, of course. I keep forgetting that I do all my keywording in Classic then save to XMP before importing to LrDesktop. So it basically comes down to a choice of what you want to lose less.....album organisation or keywords/faces data?

There was a third option as well (export as Original + Settings from LrDesktop), but that has the same problem as the Downloader.

Like you, I do wish that Adobe would develop the ability to include album/collection membership in XMP, it would solve a lot of problems.

Hi Jim,
The second options sounds more interesting.

Do you know how long an end user can access his photos after he has not renewed his old subscriptions?
- Einar
Well, Victoria has just highlighted a problem with Keywords and Faces data with the second option, so it may be less interesting now.

But to answer your question, I think you lose access to your cloud files via the Lightroom apps as soon as the subscription lapses. However, after that time you have 12 months to retrieve your data through the Downloader app.....but I don't know how long the Classic workaround would be available once the subscription has ended, so I think to be safe you'd need to do the download to a new Classic catalog before the subscription has ended....so it might already be too late for you to use.

Well, Victoria has just highlighted a problem with Keywords and Faces data with the second option, so it may be less interesting now.

But to answer your question, I think you lose access to your cloud files via the Lightroom apps as soon as the subscription lapses. However, after that time you have 12 months to retrieve your data through the Downloader app.....but I don't know how long the Classic workaround would be available once the subscription has ended, so I think to be safe you'd need to do the download to a new Classic catalog before the subscription has ended....so it might already be too late for you to use.

Hi Jim,
The client was finishing a medical specialization in the US and is previous Lr subscription was there. Then, when going to renew the subscription after moving to Iceland, Adobe did not make that possible. That is also the reason we have fought to get the Lr CC and Photography plans subscriptions in Iceland as resellers, as Adobe does not have an e-store in our country.
Best,
Einar

Ah yes, of course. I keep forgetting that I do all my keywording in Classic then save to XMP before importing to LrDesktop. So it basically comes down to a choice of what you want to lose less.....album organisation or keywords/faces data?
Rats, I hoped you'd found a workaround as you've done more testing on that than I have. It's not a great choice to have to make, is it!

Rats, I hoped you'd found a workaround as you've done more testing on that than I have. It's not a great choice to have to make, is it!
It's certainly not!

If I was really really desperate to retain both collection/album structure AND all keywords, faces and location data from the cloud, I guess it would be possible to use a combination of both methods, i.e. sync a new Classic catalog to download all images in their respective albums/collections, AND run the Downloader. So effectively you'd be doubling the download, but as both should create the identical folder structure it should then be possible in the new Classic catalog to Update Folder Location on the parent folder, to switch from the Classic downloded images to the Downloader downloaded images. Then select all and Read Metadata from Files to populate the Classic catalog with the cloud metadata.

Note, I haven't tested that fully, though as you know we did something like that a few years back.

I see what you mean Jim. I am not sure my end user can to this, but I should be. I will inform the client and she what he likes to do. I keep you posted if something constructive comes out of this. Onward !!! - Einar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back