• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Access a Roll of Processed Film

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIKE.BROOKSIDE

I use a low-end Kodak scanner to scan slides, negatives, etc. It can scan processed film too. I have several rolls of processed film that I need to scan with that scanner, but I have no way to unroll the film from within the processed roll. Is there a workaround for that?

Regards,

Mike the noob

I'm not sure that I understand the question. Could you elaborate? Are you saying that the original Negative is rolled up? Most processed negatives that I've seen were processed and cut into strips of 4-5 negatives. Scanners usually can handle these images one at a time and retain the strip as is. A roll might be more of a challenge but it could be done. And you could cut the roll into strips. Processed slides are usually mounted and many scanners can handle mounted slides. You could cut and mount each frame and mount in slide mounts that you can buy for the purpose.

If this is a Lightroom Question and you have a large number of images scanned as a large single image, you can crop and save the individual images as virtual Copies .

Weird, right! It’s rolls of film w this status 4:

Attachments

• 738B3613-F152-415A-94EA-9758539575E8.jpeg
    738B3613-F152-415A-94EA-9758539575E8.jpeg
    566.9 KB · Views: 141
OK, I do seem to recall that Kodak (?) was processing file and returning in the original canister. So, If you have processed film (4 with a white square), then you could safely remove the film from the canister and cut the filmstrip using one of the methods I suggested in my previous post.

The operative phrase being “…safely remove the film from the canister.”

You have summed up my question quite well, as in, how?

The operative phrase being “…safely remove the film from the canister.”

You have summed up my question quite well, as in, how?
There should be a short leader of film protruding from the canister. Just pull and all of your processed negatives will come out. If you want to cut these into single frames to mount or in short strips that will fit into your scanner, you can do this. If you can scan without cutting and want to retain the negatives in the canister you can stick a pen or pencil in one end of the spindle and rewind back into the canister after scanning.

If there is no leader exposed then the only way to get to the negatives would be to gently peel open the canister (the End Caps come off.)

If you are uncomfortable opening up the canister, the used to make a slim metal leader that could be fed through the felt opening where the film normal travelled. You then rolled the film a bit until metal leader caught the sprockets on the it and then pulled it back out through the felt with the film in tow. IIRC, we used to use small can openers to open up the cannisters, but it has been a number of years since I worked in a lab, and I mostly did printing.

Good luck,

--Ken

Last edited:
It is possible the OP is talking about Kodak APS film. "Advanced Photo System"
https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiNsMeQyo_3AhUpTWwGHasVAAsQFnoECAwQAQ&url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Photo_System&usg=AOvVaw1A0dSnQyVS9BQfVGt9Wgnu
How to remove film from an APS canister- I do not know! Crack like an egg? :)

The OP was indeed asking about Kodak APS file Processed and returned in the original canister. I believe that question was answered several months ago. The latest person to latch on to this thread was also IMO sufficiently answered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back