• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

A question about the new lrcat-data file

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version
Lr Classic version 11.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi all!

When I was readig this LrC-forum, as I almost daily do, I noticed a thing that made me wonder: For several years I have
used two methods to back up Lr Catalog, one is of course Lr’s own backup system leading to a
Zpip-folder. The other is just Windows copy-paste method. And I have only copyed the lrcat -file
thinking that contains all the edits I’ve made. After upgrading to v11 I have noticed of course the new lrcat-data file,
but was not thinkin it should be copyed too. Now, if I haven’t misunderstood
the new masks are just in that file. Am I right? And if I am, should I really copy that too and how
do I use it, if I some day have to, because of catalog corrupt for example?
Just copy and paste both files to the original place and delete the old corrupted files?

Hope someone could clarify this to me. THank you.

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Yes you should always backup this file together with the .lrcat file. It’s best to backup them as a unit, so that you can restore them always as a unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Yes, just deal with them as a unit. In theory, you can afford to lose the lrcat-data file. It contains the masks that Lightrooms new AI masking (select subject, select sky) produces. If you would ever lose it, Lightroom could rebuild these masks. But right now, Lightroom can only do this one by one after you click on a button, so you definitely do not want to have to rebuild a few hundred masks like that! A ‘rebuild all’ button is one of the hottest feature requests, so I do expect such button will come one day.