• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

[7.3] New bug with smart collections

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samoreen

Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi,

This one, I can reproduce at will. Using a dual monitor configuration

1. Launch LR. Go to the Library module. Main screen in Loupe mode, secondary display in Grid mode.
2. Select a smart collection.
3. Select an image.
4. Exit LR.
5. Relaunch
6. The main display shows again the lastly selected image. The secondary display says "No photos in selected smart collection".
7. Now if you select another smart collection and go back to the previously selected one, all the images of the smart collection are shown on the secondary display.

Hi,

This one, I can reproduce at will. Using a dual monitor configuration

1. Launch LR. Go to the Library module. Main screen in Loupe mode, secondary display in Grid mode.
2. Select a smart collection.
3. Select an image.
4. Exit LR.
5. Relaunch
6. The main display shows again the lastly selected image. The secondary display says "No photos in selected smart collection".
7. Now if you select another smart collection and go back to the previously selected one, all the images of the smart collection are shown on the secondary display.
Please report bugs in the Adobe forum: Photoshop Family Customer Community This is a user-to-user forum, not an Adobe forum, so there is nothing we can do about it here.

More details about this problem...

I have (patiently) checked all my smart collections against this issue and it seems that all affected collections have one thing in common : they are using 2 specific rules. The first rule is the Label Color rule and the second is the Keywords rule.

If I create a new smart collection having such rules, I can immediately reproduce the problem with it.

For all the affected smart collections, if I remove the Label Color rule, the problem disappears. If I re-add the Label Color rule, the problem is back. This can be reproduced for all smart collections using these two rules.

I was able to duplicate this and logged a bug for it. Notes posted on the Support forum post you made.

More details about this problem...

I have (patiently) checked all my smart collections against this issue and it seems that all affected collections have one thing in common : they are using 2 specific rules. The first rule is the Label Color rule and the second is the Keywords rule.

If I create a new smart collection having such rules, I can immediately reproduce the problem with it.

For all the affected smart collections, if I remove the Label Color rule, the problem disappears. If I re-add the Label Color rule, the problem is back. This can be reproduced for all smart collections using these two rules.
Adobe should hire you for their Quality Assurance department. :D

This subtle new error, and the way it was found, illustrates the difficulty of testing new software. A complex package like Lightroom can never be totally and completely tested today, imo. There are simply too many interconnected variables, where a change in one place suddenly effects something one thought was not related. I have seen this before as I worked for an instrument company that had both instrument control and data analysis built into one package. Someday perhaps AI will enable a developer to completely test a package.

This subtle new error, and the way it was found, illustrates the difficulty of testing new software. A complex package like Lightroom can never be totally and completely tested today, imo. There are simply too many interconnected variables, where a change in one place suddenly effects something one thought was not related. I have seen this before as I worked for an instrument company that had both instrument control and data analysis built into one package. Someday perhaps AI will enable a developer to completely test a package.
Better yet, software can be designed in such a way as to avoid these design issues in the first place. That is admittedly hard.

As for testing, over time a good software testing department will build up a large catalog of test cases. Now I'm not saying that Adobe in fact has a good software testing department.

Better yet, software can be designed in such a way as to avoid these design issues in the first place. That is admittedly hard.

Agreed. Actually, it's not that hard. The necessary methodologies allowing to provide software with a much reduced bug ratio do exist. I have been teaching them for years. The problem is that this makes the development longer and project managers don't like this idea. Globally, this wouldn't raise the costs because they would be significantly reduced in the maintenance and support departments. But it's so easy to have paying customers do the job for you, especially when they have accepted to pay each month whatever the quality level of the delivered software.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back