• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

64bit-Lightroom to CS4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rose Weir

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
This month installed CS4 (Xp64 bit quad processer 4gram) and Lightroom 64bit 'found' Photoshop CS4 for external editing purposes.
I began to wonder if Lightroom was 'connecting' to the 64 bit version of CS4 or the 32bit . There wasn't an obvious report as to which.
I figure its connecting to the 64 bit version because I downloaded a plug in for sharpening and configured the 64 bit to the additional folder. Today I opened the 32bit version and that plug in was not visible since I had not editted the preference. I've been using that plug in so I figure I'm in the 64 bit when I'm using the 'Edit as a smart oject ...or edit in Photoshop'
Now, I read that some plug-ins only work in the 32 bit version
If I run into this '32bit only' situation what would be a work around if the automatic behaviour editing out of Lightroom is to go to the 64bit version?

Rose

You can go to preferences and set second editor to the Photoshop 32 bit version and then when you right click on image, and select edit in, you will have both options. In installed programs there are two folders. The "program files" folder will contain 64 bit programs and the "Program files ( x86)" will contain the 32 bit programs. You will find the respective version of Photoshop.exe in those files.

Thanks both for the info. I discovered by chance that if the 32 bit version is sitting open in the tray then Lightroom uses it.
At the moment my second editor is the Paintshop Pro software. I'm easing over into CS4 but when I want to get something done quickly then that can be accomplished by using the software in which I know where everything is <grin>

Rose

Rose, it's not obvious from the interface, but you can add additional 'Second editors', by creating second editor profiles, there in the preferences dialog. While only the currently selected secondary editor shows up in the preferences dialog, all available options should appear in the 'Edit in..' drop down menu choices, where you actually need them.

I developed a solution a few months ago while researching how to make Lightroom open 32-bit Photoshop by default. I found an unrelated article in Adobe's Knowledge Base that gave the location of the Photoshop registry keys and I modified it to work. Here's the Adobe KB article: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/4'1/kb4'1629.html

This fix works for both Adobe Bridge (CTRL +O command) and Lightroom. If you have Lightroom 64-bit version installed you'd notice that when you use the "Edit in Photoshop" option it opens Photoshop 64-bit by default when in most cases you want the 32-bit version since that's where most currently available plug-ins are installed. So this fix will force both Adobe Bridge and Lightroom to open the 32-bit version of Photoshop by default.

Its a simple Windows Registry fix. However, if you are uncomfortable editing your Windows Registry do not attempt these changes. I will not be responsible if you screw up your computer in any way. As a precaution its advisable to back up your Windows Registry before attempting to edit it.

1. Go to Start > Run and type regedit to open the Registry Editor

2. Navigate to the following registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionApp PathsPhotoshop.exe

3. The keys in the right pane of the Registry Editor should read something similar to the following:
Default C:program FilesAdobeAdobe Photoshop CS4Photoshop.exe
Path C:program FilesAdobeAdobe Photoshop CS4

4. Right-click each key, select "Modify" and change them to the following:
Default C:program Files (x86)AdobeAdobe Photoshop CS4Photoshop.exe
Path C:program Files (x86)AdobeAdobe Photoshop CS4

5. Click File > Exit to save and exit the Registry Editor.

These instructions assume you have a standard installation of Photoshop. If you installed it in another location you'd have to modify the paths to suit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back