• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

64bit Catalina Released

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Naylor

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 8.4.1
Operating System
  1. macOS 10.14 Mojave
MacOS Catalina is available for download as of today. Problem is, there are no less than 11 (eleven) 32bit Adobe Apps lurking on my system. Any thoughts? Has anyone braver than I discovered if LR and PS still works?

That’s good news...

I plan on doing my testing tomorrow from my Mac laptop, import NEF and RAF files, edit, round tripping to PS, and then printing from LR to my R3000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Please let us know how printing to your R3000 goes.

We are continuing to update the Blog as we hear of anything (from Adobe and users) but issues seem pretty minor in most cases, lots have advised us they have made the transition to Catalina without issues.

Generally software companies are finalizing any fixes now that Catalina is actually on general release, Chronosync for example released their update yesterday.

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/lightroom-macos-catalina-compatibility/

So all went well and running smoothly. I could only update my Macbook Air. I still need to replace the iMac.

All 5 Apple device calender's, emails, etc sync. Went through and deleted all the apps that had a line through them. Went to X-rite and got the latest Colorchecker Passport and i1 Profiler software. Same for Adobe's DNG converter. Even my good old PS B&W plugin I purchased over 10 years ago works.

The only thing I'm going to miss is Pixel Genius - PK Sharpener but I don't use it that often as I don't export out of PS - and it was free.

I've updated my MacBook Pro to Catalina yesterday afternoon. LR, PS, Bridge, and Camera Raw all seem fine save one little hiccup...

After exporting a LR file to finish in PS, I save the finished master file as a PSD. Then, after flattening, resizing, etc., I save the output file as a JPG. However, the PS 'Save As' dialog box isn't doing the conversion from PSD to JPG; even though .jpg is in the box after the 'Save As' command is selected, I have to manually go into the box, delete the .jpg put there by PS, and manually type in '.jpg'. Otherwise the file will save as a PSD.

The only change to the system is the upgrade yesterday to Catalina, and some recent Adboe Cloud/App updates. This is only occurring since the upgrade to Catalina. Thoughts?

Interesting email from Red River Paper support:

October 10, 2019.

Statement on OSX 10.15 Catalina

Red River Paper has received a number of complaints that after updating to Catalina, some aspects of the print process no longer work. This is fairly common with each new version of OSX. Given that "printing season" is upon us, Red River Paper recommends you do not update to 10.15 Catalina at this time. New operating systems take between 3-6 months before they are fully vetted and free of major bugs. If you value your ability to print or it is critical to your business, do not update.

Red River Paper
Tech Support Team

I concur with their advice. Print drivers especially for older printers often take quite a long time to be updated.

-louie

PS bug to report. In camera RAW the radial filter's inside option doesn't work. It only adjusts the outside. Were is that bug link again? I have to bookmark it.

Thanks. I have only used it once. This isn't the only thing I have going on :)

Done. It has been so long I had to reset the password. I have a spreadsheet that is two pages long with all my passwords. I have several Adobe but that one wasn't there.

After exporting a LR file to finish in PS, I save the finished master file as a PSD. Then, after flattening, resizing, etc., I save the output file as a JPG. However, the PS 'Save As' dialog box isn't doing the conversion from PSD to JPG; even though .jpg is in the box after the 'Save As' command is selected, I have to manually go into the box, delete the .jpg put there by PS, and manually type in '.jpg'. Otherwise the file will save as a PSD.
That's on the known issues page for Photoshop already Photoshop and macOS Catalina (10.15)

That I didn't know. I don't use it, just LR. Someone on another site noticed it so I confirmed it as I'm running both OS different devices.

I did an upgrade in place (vs scratch install) on my MacBook Pro (2012). Lightroom Classic 8.4.1 and Photoshop CC 20.0.6, Epson R3000 with 9.29 driver. I do not consider this anywhere an exhaustive test of LR and PS on Catalina, but it pretty much covers the things I do in my workflow.

I took two raw files (NEF, RAF) from iMac (Mojave 10.14.6) over to the MacBook Pro and imported them into LR. The only strange thing I noticed was the the main disk (Macintosh HD) was listed there times in the Import panel, but it did not seem to cause any ill effects. Once imported I performed the same edits on the two raw files here as I had done in LR on the iMac. The images looked the same as far as I could see given the difference in the two displays. Both displays (MBP Retina LCD, iMac 27-inch P3 display) were profiled using a Spider5 and DisplayCAL. One difference I did notice during the edit process was that using Transform/Full did not produce the same results on my MBP - it was not “fully” corrected as on the iMac. Could be a graphics processor difference, but I’m not sure. I do not use a lot of plug-ins in LR, but I did try exporting with Morgrify, which worked just fine. I did update to the latest Morgrify version when prompted.

Round-tripping to Photoshop worked just fine, with one exception that does not affect my workflow. When doing a “Save-As” the default format is TIFF which is what I use, so no issue; however, if I selected another format the file extension did not automatically update (this is noted as an issue by Adobe). While in PS, I created various adjustment layers, used Crop/Straighten. I did not use all the extension I have loaded into PS, but they did show up. Not using any PS plug-ins that I am aware of. Again, the only issue I ran into was the Save-As issue noted above.

For my workflow, I do all my printing from LR. For my landscape fine art prints, I print from a master file I create in PS. This is “returned” to LR and stacked with the original raw file. In LR I use the PS master file to create a soft proof copy for a given paper, and the soft proofs are stacked with the raw file. For my print test, I brought over a PS master file from my iMac and imported in into LR on the MBP. I then created a soft proof with the same settings as the one on the iMac. This soft proof is what I used to make the print from LR on the MBP. Once the print was done I compared it with one from the same master file/soft proof on the iMac - they are identical to my eyes. Not surprising since they were both printed using the same Epson R3000 driver (9.29). I plan to repeat the printing test once an updated driver is available from Epson. New drivers for other printers (3800, 3880, P600, P800) became available last week and as of Friday 10/11/19, Epson had updated some of the utilities for the R3000 - hopefully, a new driver will for Catalina will come out soon.

I did some basic test printing from Catalina on the MBP to the R3000 and noticed that the “Printer Features” facility was not shown. Going into System Preferences and selecting the R3000, going into Options & Supplies General tab, there is now a checkbox “Use Generic Printer Features”. Checking this box made the “Printer Features” facility show in the printer dialog. But then it also showed in the print dialog when in LR - which I did not like. This behavior is different from Mojave. Not a huge deal, but something to be aware of.

That’s it… Hope this helps as other start looking at moving to Catalina.

Is this real or fake? I couldn't find anything at Adobe.
It's very real, because all of the screen shots they posted came directly from the same official Adobe article about Catalina compatibility that Paul McFarlane posted earlier. Even the warning about not upgrading to Catalina right away is a direct quote from that Adobe article. (Good advice I think.)

The Adobe article went up within a day that Catalina was released, so it took a day or two for it to show up in search engines.

My 2011 iMac which is still running High Sierra is slow. When I do a security update I close all the apps before I reboot because it is so slow. Out of habit I also do this to my Macbook Air.

Just had another Catalina update on the Air. This is what I noticed. The apps closed instantly and the reboot was lighting fast. It was probably minor but the Air which which has an SSD drive never rebooted this quickly. My guess there were minor updates in the past as well.

Apps open much faster too and my RAM is only 4GB

Never thought of that. My spreadsheet and other info is on a USB stick which only gets plugged in when I need it. I have copies and keep one in my banks safety deposit box. I rotate an updated stick each time go to the box. My banks passwords are not recorded anywhere. I also use VPN.

I guess that stick thing is kinda primitive. I'll take a look at KeeWeb. Does the developer have access?

I use Password Safe, originally written by Bruce Schneier. It's free, and also uses an encrypted database. I'd be lost without it.

I've updated my MacBook Pro to Catalina yesterday afternoon. LR, PS, Bridge, and Camera Raw all seem fine save one little hiccup...

The only change to the system is the upgrade yesterday to Catalina, and some recent Adboe Cloud/App updates. This is only occurring since the upgrade to Catalina. Thoughts?

That's on the known issues page for Photoshop already Photoshop and macOS Catalina (10.15)

And it appears the latest Adobe update for PS has corrected this issue, among others...

My new iMac that is supposed to arrive in about 10 days (but who is counting) will probably have Catalina on it so I'll work around everything. I started using the free Apple, Pages and Numbers so I can get used to it. Numbers is a little frustrating. I haven't figured out how to move cell contents with out dragging the cell borders with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back