• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

6 MB vs 12 MB - Can I Expect Better Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverydayDuchess

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
My computer has really been screwed up by a Windows 10 upgrade. I am trying to resolve that with MS. As a result, Lightroom won't even open. I will try and resolve that with Adobe. But my last resort is I may need to buy a new computer. I can get a good deal on one that has 12MB cache, instead of the 6 MB I have right now. Intel HD 530 instead of Intel HD4000 graphics. I am just starting into stock photography, so I was living with slow speed on the 6 MB computer. So my question is: will I see a significant improvement in LR speed with the new computer? (it may make it worth it to buy, even if I get the other computer working again).

Thanks in advance for your feedback and thoughts.

Need a lot more detail about the specs on both machines to even hazard a guess.
Increasing cache size generally helps, but my raw images are 20MB so they will not even fit in your proposed cache size.

My computer has really been screwed up by a Windows 10 upgrade. I am trying to resolve that with MS. As a result, Lightroom won't even open. I will try and resolve that with Adobe. But my last resort is I may need to buy a new computer. I can get a good deal on one that has 12MB cache, instead of the 6 MB I have right now. Intel HD 530 instead of Intel HD4000 graphics. I am just starting into stock photography, so I was living with slow speed on the 6 MB computer. So my question is: will I see a significant improvement in LR speed with the new computer? (it may make it worth it to buy, even if I get the other computer working again).

Thanks in advance for your feedback and thoughts.

Before you buy a new computer, keep in mind that Windows 10 does NOT affect the hardware, just the software on the HDD or SSD.

Suggest that you wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install of Win 10. But before that, write down a list of all your installed apps, back up all your data and browser settings, etc. If you buy a new computer, you will still have to re-install all your apps, your data, etc.

Phil

Need a lot more detail about the specs on both machines to even hazard a guess.
Increasing cache size generally helps, but my raw images are 20MB so they will not even fit in your proposed cache size.
Good Point - I didn't think of it this way! I am using RAW as well, so this is a very good point.

Before you buy a new computer, keep in mind that Windows 10 does NOT affect the hardware, just the software on the HDD or SSD.

Suggest that you wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install of Win 10. But before that, write down a list of all your installed apps, back up all your data and browser settings, etc. If you buy a new computer, you will still have to re-install all your apps, your data, etc.

Phil
Yeah, that is the Windows 10 part of the problem.....there is some administrator login issues, so I don't seem to be able to do much of anything but run the basic programs. So, I figure if I am going to do all this anyway, check to see if a computer upgrade is worth it at this time. I appreciate the feedback.

You speak of 6MB cache and 12MB cache. This sounds like you are referencing the disk drive cache. There are other things can can affect I/O performance besides cache. If you have an external drive it could be using an slow USB2 port. The fastest I/O would come from an internally mounted drive. Spin rates also can be an issue. If your drive is a 5400rpm drive it will be slower than a 7200rpm drive. RAM and CPU are the two main components that affect performance the most. You need a minimum of 8GB RAM although 16 or 32GB would be better. A Quad Core CPU will outperform a dual core CPU. And Last, your OS is stated as 32 bit. This severely limits LR to 1 GB of RAM no matter how much RAM you have. These are thing that need to be addressed if you are considering a new computer to think you need a new computer.

Or perhaps you mean 6GB vs 12GB of memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back