6 MB vs 12 MB - Can I Expect Better Speed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EverydayDuchess

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
My computer has really been screwed up by a Windows 10 upgrade. I am trying to resolve that with MS. As a result, Lightroom won't even open. I will try and resolve that with Adobe. But my last resort is I may need to buy a new computer. I can get a good deal on one that has 12MB cache, instead of the 6 MB I have right now. Intel HD 530 instead of Intel HD4000 graphics. I am just starting into stock photography, so I was living with slow speed on the 6 MB computer. So my question is: will I see a significant improvement in LR speed with the new computer? (it may make it worth it to buy, even if I get the other computer working again).

Thanks in advance for your feedback and thoughts.

Need a lot more detail about the specs on both machines to even hazard a guess.
Increasing cache size generally helps, but my raw images are 20MB so they will not even fit in your proposed cache size.

My computer has really been screwed up by a Windows 10 upgrade. I am trying to resolve that with MS. As a result, Lightroom won't even open. I will try and resolve that with Adobe. But my last resort is I may need to buy a new computer. I can get a good deal on one that has 12MB cache, instead of the 6 MB I have right now. Intel HD 530 instead of Intel HD4000 graphics. I am just starting into stock photography, so I was living with slow speed on the 6 MB computer. So my question is: will I see a significant improvement in LR speed with the new computer? (it may make it worth it to buy, even if I get the other computer working again).

Thanks in advance for your feedback and thoughts.

Before you buy a new computer, keep in mind that Windows 10 does NOT affect the hardware, just the software on the HDD or SSD.

Suggest that you wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install of Win 10. But before that, write down a list of all your installed apps, back up all your data and browser settings, etc. If you buy a new computer, you will still have to re-install all your apps, your data, etc.

Phil

Need a lot more detail about the specs on both machines to even hazard a guess.
Increasing cache size generally helps, but my raw images are 20MB so they will not even fit in your proposed cache size.
Good Point - I didn't think of it this way! I am using RAW as well, so this is a very good point.

Before you buy a new computer, keep in mind that Windows 10 does NOT affect the hardware, just the software on the HDD or SSD.

Suggest that you wipe the drive clean and do a fresh install of Win 10. But before that, write down a list of all your installed apps, back up all your data and browser settings, etc. If you buy a new computer, you will still have to re-install all your apps, your data, etc.

Phil
Yeah, that is the Windows 10 part of the problem.....there is some administrator login issues, so I don't seem to be able to do much of anything but run the basic programs. So, I figure if I am going to do all this anyway, check to see if a computer upgrade is worth it at this time. I appreciate the feedback.

You speak of 6MB cache and 12MB cache. This sounds like you are referencing the disk drive cache. There are other things can can affect I/O performance besides cache. If you have an external drive it could be using an slow USB2 port. The fastest I/O would come from an internally mounted drive. Spin rates also can be an issue. If your drive is a 5400rpm drive it will be slower than a 7200rpm drive. RAM and CPU are the two main components that affect performance the most. You need a minimum of 8GB RAM although 16 or 32GB would be better. A Quad Core CPU will outperform a dual core CPU. And Last, your OS is stated as 32 bit. This severely limits LR to 1 GB of RAM no matter how much RAM you have. These are thing that need to be addressed if you are considering a new computer to think you need a new computer.

Or perhaps you mean 6GB vs 12GB of memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back