• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

4K TV as computer monitor for LR work

Status
Not open for further replies.

theoldwizard1

Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Is anyone doing this ? How is it working, especially color shift with viewing angle ?

Currently using an older Dell 32" IPS 2560x1440 monitor. It still works well but I want to see explore grades, preferably under $1,500

I don’t do it but a TV can work, as long as you pay attention to how it’s set up to reproduce color. A TV can have multiple color presets that are designed for entertainment, so if the TV is set at the factory to a preset such as Vivid or Sports, colors will be distorted and it won’t be a reliable reference for photo editing. If you want to use a TV for photo editing, first make sure it’s set to a neutral/flat color preset, and then when it’s connected to the computer, use a color profiler/calibrator to generate a custom ICC display profile for it. At that point it should be ready to use for photo editing.

How it looks at different viewing angles depends on the model and the panel. You’ll have to look through reviews of specific models.

My only question is size/viewing distance. A 32" monitor is quite large. A 32" TV is quite small. How large do you think your TV would be and what will be the viewing distance?

WARNING ! Especially on large (>32") displays, make sure the panel uses "In-Plane Switching" (IPS). Color are better, but most important you get a wide viewing angle without color shift !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back