Did you turn it off and on again?
Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
I'll use DXO PureRaw and Topaz Photo AI as an example. Sending files for LrC both apps will open as a RAW file. Both come back to LrC as DNG's. How does that work during the import process? The file does not pass through the import page/step and opens directly beside the original file.

Is it possible for LrC to apply a preset while the file is coming back? Even if the Develop Settings are set to none can it somehow apply a preset. I know that window does not open so logic says it shouldn't from there. I'm just wondering if it can apply one some other way. I don't think it can but I don't know for sure.

RAW files are not images but photo site data values. These must be converted to RGB (Pixels) before they can be processed. After processing, the RGB image needs to be saved in one of the RGB file formats, DNG is a container file format for your RGB results.
I think the DNG is created by the External Editor and the import process is done behind the scenes with little control over the process. You can apply a develop preset immediately after import but not during.

That is what I thought. I could not find anything with the Apps or LrC to indicate there was some type of control. All 3rd party apps do some baking. DXO PureRaw files always come back flat and a little underexposed. Topaz colour is a little different as well. At least with a DNG we still get access to the colour profiles, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back