• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

2016 MacBook Pro with Thunderbolt eGPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffnesh

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
I am considering an external GPU (along the lines of Akito Node or Mantiz) for my 13" MacBook Pro w/Touchbar.

Pretty confident I can get the eGPU running, probably with an NVIDIA 1060 or so. However, has anyone used something like this with Lightroom CC? Will I see improved performance?

Thanks for any experiences.

Welcome to the forum Jeff. Interesting question. I haven't come across anyone using such a setup, but there may well be someone out there. I think it's rare enough that only Google will turn them up though.

I have tested it yesterday but unfortunately, not available yet.
It is possible to use egpu(Akitio node + GTX1060) with my Macbook Pro(Touch bar 13inch 2016) both bootcamp and Sierra.
and got a reasonable result in 3D games.
but Lightroom did not detect egpu on Sierra -_-;(Did not check on Bootcamp)

Thanks, that's exactly the insight I was looking for. I think it's getting easier to get eGPUs up and running in MacOS, and some of the new boxes are appealing. The new Mantiz Venus is only a small bit more in price than a thunderbolt3 dock, provides 5 USB ports, a mount for an internal ssd drive, and ethernet, plus the obvious option for a full GPU card. That's a nice option. I was worried though that with Adobe's current approach to GPU usage it might not work. Sounds like that's the case. Thanks for the test.

MacOS 10.13.4 now officially supports eGPU's. Curious if anyone has tried one recently with this version and if they've noticed any improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back