• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • The May 2019 Lightroom updates are now available. There's a brand new slider called Texture, available across the whole family of apps. Lightroom Classic includes a new tool called Flat Field Correction. Lightroom (cloud-based service) has lots of big improvements including cloud trash, invitation-only web galleries, improved chromatic aberration removal and more. The Missing FAQ and Edit Like a Pro eBooks are already updated for the changes. You'll also notice the CC's have disappeared off the end of the names, so we've updated the forum names to match.

2.1 continuosly freeze

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long John Silver

Hi all,
first of all I say hello to everybody because this is my first post here!

Unfortunately I have to start asking some help :roll:

I was using LR 1.4 without too much problems, then I decided to give a try to the new 2.1 version and so began my pains...
The upgrade went smooth but the program is unbelievably slow (1.4 wasn't a bullet but it was usable). Most of the time I try to switch to the develop module it hangs and most of the time the os become unstable and I'm forced to reboot. I never had these problems with 1.4
I read some post about some problems with Nvidia cards. Yes I have a Quadro MX card driving two LCD at 128'x1'24. Everything is managed by Nvidia NView application. I looked ofr some upgrade but I have the latest dirvers for this card dated 2''6 :roll:

I checked I have no strange presets and everything seems ok.
Probably my pc is not the latest one but I use tons of applications and also Photoshop without problems.

Is it possible that for using this program I'm forced to live on the bleeding edge of technology :cheesy: and buy a new hardware?

Is there on the way some upgrade to stabilize or improve LR performance?

PS
During this week of 2.1 use I imported hundred of photos. Could I downgrade my catalog to 1.4?

Bye

My LR installation says:

Built-in memory: 1'22.9 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 613.7 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 98.9 MB (16.1%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 1'1.4 MB
Memory cache size: 63.2 MB

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
Hi Davide, welcome to the forum!

The forum would be very quiet without questions, so ask away to your heart's content. Thanks for filling in your signature - that really helps!

There are a string to troubleshooting tips you can try for a start, which are here: http://www.lightroomqueen.com/community/showthread.php?t=1645 Things like dodgy preferences, optimizing the catalog, testing a clean catalog etc can help narrow down where the problem is occuring.

If 1.4 was running ok, then the Nvidia problems are a little less likely, but still a possibility. I'd try turning off the nView software, which has had many fingers pointed at it in the past, and try using the Windows display settings to share the monitors, and see if that helps, or just try running for a few minutes in single monitor mode - that'll at least help to determine whether that could be at fault.

Downgrading catalogs doesn't work. You can write most of your changes out to xmp and then import them into your old 1.4 catalog, but it's probably worth trying to fix it first if we can.

Last edited:

kwdaves

Usually the first recommendation is to disable nView. If that doesn't solve your problem, then delete and recreate your preferences.

When you converted your catalog did you notice that in Grid View it takes a long time (3' seconds to a minute depending on how many thumbnails are visible) for a screen full of thumbnails to update the thumbnails and badges and have the "..." go away?

Long John Silver

Hi Ken & Victoria,
thanks for your quick replies.

I follow your suggestions and immediately things go better; after your post:

I disabled completely Nvidia nview (digging on the net I discovered that nvidia service can be completely removed from start up without affecting dual monitor functionality, at least for my use)

I erased my preferences. I found two preferences files: one for LR 1 and one for LR 2. I backup them and erased.

I restarted my pc and then I started LR.
I worked for one hour importing other 1'' photos, tagging, reorganizing, retouching and exporting some of them. Of course I used both monitors with a "full screen" - "loupe normal" on the second one.

Well, of course it isn't the fastest app I ever used but now it's useable as before. My library it's a small one: just about 4''' photos (only jpeg).

BTW: what is the reccomended size (MB/photos) of one catalog?

It starts from scratch in about 18 seconds displaying a grid of 25 thumbs in library mode.
The first time I switch module it needs more than 1' seconds but then next module switch takes less than a second. From what I see from the memory consumption, the first time you go in a module, actually it loads the module from scratch.

Guys, really thank you for your suggestions. I'll continue using it and I'll keep you informed.

Bye

Victoria Bampton

Lightroom Queen
Staff member
Administrator
Lightroom Guru
Lightroom Experience
Power User
Lightroom Version
Cloud Service
That's pretty good progress Davide! Excellent!

Recommended size - it's just trial and error to see what's tolerable on your machine. My biggest catalog is now 2''k. Others find 2'k a more reasonable maximum.

The preview display might be down to previews having not already been rendered - in which case they should be quicker in future.

Status
Not open for further replies.