• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom 6 questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom 6 - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. When you upgrade to subscription, there's also a Lightroom Classic version available.
  • It's Lightroom update time again! Color Grading and improved zoom across the whole Lightroom family, plus graphical watermarks for the cloud-based Lightroom apps, as well as the usual new cameras, lens profiles and bug fixes. See this blog post for Lightroom Classic and this blog post for the Lightroom Cloud Ecosystem changes.

1:1 Previews Question (LR 5.7)

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
My normal work flow is such that I am not usually needing to process large numbers of images (excepting import) so my current 3+ year old hardware is able to meet most of my needs with not too much delay. Unfortunately, I am now needing to process a large number of images that I previously imported, and I am finding things to be slower than I would like, especially related to viewing large numbers of images at 1:1 in the Library while I those that I wish to process. I normally import DNG files (no raw embedded) with 1:1 previews created at the time of import. My catalog resides on my laptop's 7200rpm internal drive, and my images reside on a 7200rpm external USB 2.0 drive. I realize this is not an optimal configuration, but as LR is not used to produce income, my hardware gets updated when my budget allows (hopefully later this year). So, I am not asking for specific hardware recommendations at this time, but rather a refresher as to where my previews reside (I am assuming with my LR catalog on my internal drive), and more importantly, any suggestions as to how I can speed up that dreaded Loading message when I zoom in to images at 1:1 when culling. Or, is this just the limitations of my hardware (8GB RAM and second generation i5 processor) that is going to teach me about the virtues of patience?

Thanks,

--Ken

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Ken, yes the preview cache lives in the same folder as the catalog, i.e. on the internal drive.

If a 1:1 preview already exists, then I wouldn't have expected much of as loading delay (if any) when zooming to 1:1. Chances are, therefore, that the 1:1 previews that you initially created when you imported the images have fallen by the wayside....either because you have them set to be discarded after a set period of time - Catalog Settings>File Handling tab - or the images have been already edited, which discards the existing library preview and only a standard-sized preview is eventually created unless you specifically render 1:1 previews.

My suggestion would be to select 40 or 50 of these previously imported images, have Lightroom render 1:1 previews for them, then move through the images in Loupe view in the Library and check for the extent of the loading delays. If it's still there, for more than a second, then it's probably the system performance that's the issue, not the placement of the images on the USB2 drive.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Hi Jim,

Tanks for the reply, and good catch. I thought that I had set the catalog to never automatically discard the 1:1 previews, but it was set for 30 days. Do you know if that 30 day clock gets reset when I examine an image at 1:1, or do I specifically have to render new 1:1 previews for all of the images?

Thanks,

--Ken

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
The clock should get reset, i.e. when you zoom into 1:1 on an image which doesn't have an existing 1:1 preview, then the "loading" delay is because a new 1:1 preview is being rendered....and that will be retained for the duration of the period specified in the catalog settings (or less if you edit the image).

Personally, because I have only small catalogs, I have "Never" set as the discard option for my 1:1 previews. I just wish there was an automatic way of having Lightroom render a new 1:1 preview as soon as I finish editing it, that would be the perfect time while the image is still cached.

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Thanks again, Jim. I decided to take your advice and select the images I was going to work on and have LR render some new 1:1 previews (while I was doing something else). Workflow was much smoother when I resumed post processing. I have been mulling a new Samsung SSD for my machine, and I suspect that it will breathe a bit more life (and hopefully some speed as well) into my machine. That would then allow me to upgrade one of my monitors that has developed a bit ghosting this past year.

Thanks,

--Ken