• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

1:1 previews in lrdata folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

thommy

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version: 10
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Hi

Quick question!
Did the "xx previews.lrdata" folder for 1:1 previews exist from the very beginning of Lightroom or has that been added in the later versions?
Reason why I ask is that Scott Kelby wrote that "previews get stored in your Lightroom database" in his book

The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Book for Digital Photographers​

See full text below.
"These large high-quality previews get stored in your Lightroom database, so that file is going to get very large. So large that Lightroom let you delete these 1:1 previews after a period of time"

Is that really correct?
In the database?

Kelby’s book was written by someone not familiar with computer terms like “database”. The Lightroom “database” is the catalog file (lrcat). The “lrdata” folder structure contains preview image files and these are managed inside another database “index” file found inside the “lrdata” folder structure.
AFAIK, the “lrdata” folder structure has always existed. I know it has been there ever since I started with LRv2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is as Cletus indicates. The previews are specific to a Lightroom Catalog and reside alongside the Catalog file in the same folder. Previews can be removed or deleted and if you boot Lightroom with the Catalog the previews will be rebuilt. To wit the Catalog needs the previews to function.
Screenshot 2021-01-15 at 10.18.38 AM.png

Kelby’s book was written by someone not familiar with computer terms like “database”. The Lightroom “database” is the catalog file (lrcat). The “lrdata” folder structure contains preview image files and these are managed inside another database “index” file found inside the “lrdata” folder structure.
AFAIK, the “lrdata” folder structure has always existed. I know it has been there ever since I started with LRv2

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ok, thanks!!
As I suspected :)

Thommy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back