• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Captions not saving

Status
Not open for further replies.

becksnyc

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version Number
LrC 12.2
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
I use captions extensively. Recently (not after an update), captions are not saving. I enter them, I hit return, I move on to another photo. When I go back, no caption.
The auto-suggestions are all there for what I've entered recently, but the caption is blank.
I've backed up & reopened, nothing doing.
Thanks for any help.

Not sure what your problem is, but seeing as you've already relaunched LrC, Try a full reboot of your computer. If no luck then try replacing your preferences and if that doesn't help try reinstalling LrC.

@Califdan I tried a full re-boot, no dice. I have a vague memory of losing something important the last time my preferences were replaced, maybe re: keywords? Is there a list of what I'd lose somewhere, please?

There have been bugs in older versions, where LR would save captions and other fields to the catalog but not display them when you came back to a photo. These were fixed prior to LR 12, but perhaps you're tripping over another one.

Try this: Do Catalog Settings > General > Show to open File Explorer on the current catalog folder.

There have been bugs in older versions, where LR would save captions and other fields to the catalog but not display them when you came back to a photo. These were fixed prior to LR 12, but perhaps you're tripping over another one.

Try this: Do Catalog Settings > General > Show to open File Explorer on the current catalog folder. Exit LR and delete the file "<catalog> Helper.lrdata" (and no other file!!!). Restart LR -- it will rebuild that file. Do the problem captions now display?

Thank you, John. The captions do not display after deleting the Helper.lrdata file. However, I went to photo location via Windows Explorer and opened the file in Microsoft photo viewer and the caption IS THERE, under "description." So the metadata is intact, just not showing within LrC. Of course, that's where I need to be able to read it, within LrC.

You could try Califdan's suggestion of resetting preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

That magic spell can fix all sorts of weird behavior. That article explains how to restore them if it doesn't help (and what's contained in the preferences).

My only other suggestion is to make a full-resolution screen recording (not a phone video) showing the problem as you enter a caption, move to the next photo, and then move back to the previous photo. Sometimes this can reveal obscure details that are obvious only in hindsight.

You could try Califdan's suggestion of resetting preferences:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

That magic spell can fix all sorts of weird behavior. That article explains how to restore them if it doesn't help (and what's contained in the preferences).

My only other suggestion is to make a full-resolution screen recording (not a phone video) showing the problem as you enter a caption, move to the next photo, and then move back to the previous photo. Sometimes this can reveal obscure details that are obvious only in hindsight.
Thank you, resetting preferences restored the captions, so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back