All my original photos on disk are being deleted whatever option I chose. Previously I was able to delete just rejected photos from disk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

judeives

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
Now when I chose delete rejected photos from disk all my original photos disappear. How cac I resolve this?

Delete rejected photos from disk means that you are deleting the originals as well as any changes made by Lightroom. If you want to keep the original but remove the imported image from the catalog file, choose Remove rather than Delete. Then the original will remain in the location on disk where it was imported but no longer accessible by LrC unless you import it again.

If you want to undo any Lightroom adjustments, you can use the Reset button in the develop module.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Delete rejected photos from disk means that you are deleting the originals as well as any changes made by Lightroom. If you want to keep the original but remove the imported image from the catalog file, choose Remove rather than Delete. Then the original will remain in the location on disk where it was imported but no longer accessible by LrC unless you import it again.

If you want to undo any Lightroom adjustments, you can use the Reset button in the develop module.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thank you for your quick response. It seems which ever option I chose all my photos in my computer originals file are deleted. Before if I selected the option deleted rejected photos only the rejected photos would delete from my original file on disk but the others would remain. I just tried the remove from Lightroom and the same thing happened. I am at a loss how to prevent this happening as I like to keep originals on file on disk. This has only started happening in the last couple of weeks. Any other suggestions

Before if I selected the option deleted rejected photos only the rejected photos would delete from my original file on disk but the others would remain. I just tried the remove from Lightroom and the same thing happened.
Rejected Photos are flagged with (X) Are you saying that photos without the rejected flag are getting deleted too? If this is the problem, then I (we) need more detail on how you are getting to this point.

There are several methods for deleting photos Which are you using? There is the menu option for the submenu of the Photos menu item, this is also present when you right click and invoke a Context menu. And there are several Hot key methods too. All should expose the "remove/delete" dialog that lets you choose whether to remove from the catalog or delete the underlying file as well. There is also a delete option known as "Splat Delete" which does not expose the "remove/delete" dialog
If you want to preserve all of your image files outside of Lightroom, there is an option to "Make a Second Copy..." in the import dialog that is not managed by Lightroom but preserves a copy of all files on the camera card for archival purposes. By using this you do not co-mingle files in the same folder that are imported with files that have been removed from the catalog.

Make sure you do not select the ‘Refine Photos’ menu. IIRC, that menu does not only delete rejected photos, but all photos that do not have a rating!

Make sure you do not select the ‘Refine Photos’ menu. IIRC, that menu does not only delete rejected photos, but all photos that do not have a rating!
I thought Refine Photos simply marks as Rejected all "unmarked" (which I think means unflagged) photos in the active source, and unmarks any marked photos. I don't think it matters if the images have ratings or not. I've never used it in anger (and TBH I'd forgotten it existed), but I don't think it can actually delete images, it can only mark them as rejected.

I also never used it, so what I said was what I remembered having read a long time ago. Of course if it marks all ‘unmarked’ files as Rejected, and the OP uses this menu followed by the option to delete all rejected images, that would explain his problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back