• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Tutelage in LRC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictoriaJZ

Premium Classic Member
Lightroom Experience
Beginner
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
I'm working to learn LRC but know I have a long way to go = I do NOT need all the bells and whistles, but do need to develop a familiarity with it and how it works. I do have the ebooks but think either a class or tutor to work with on the topic might help. I have seen info on the web ref Lightroom classes by Zoom or tutors or whatever, but would appreciate any wisdom as to reliable source for video instruction [maybe initially] and if needed, live handholding and instruction. Thanks

Thank you all == I'll be in touch== I am beyond overwhelmed with LRC - even thought of jettisoning it but I'm going to plow thru. The problem I have is I am NOT a professional photographer and don't do shoots etc == I do have a good eye and know what I like when I do take pics, but there's so much in LRC too learn when I don't really need all which is offered. But once I get a bit of education maybe I'll be able to work with it stripped down = not a gazillion presets and options and VCs etc == just my piddling little best pics...I really miss Aperture!!! :). Thanks for your patience with my Q

Thank you all == I'll be in touch== I am beyond overwhelmed with LRC - even thought of jettisoning it but I'm going to plow thru. The problem I have is I am NOT a professional photographer and don't do shoots etc == I do have a good eye and know what I like when I do take pics, but there's so much in LRC too learn when I don't really need all which is offered. But once I get a bit of education maybe I'll be able to work with it stripped down = not a gazillion presets and options and VCs etc == just my piddling little best pics...I really miss Aperture!!! :). Thanks for your patience with my Q
FWIW, I tend to look at LRC the same way I look at a current flagship DSLR or mirrorless camera body - packed with way more features than I can imagine, but ignorable when I just want to focus on the basics. As such, I start by trying to master the basic tools and commands that I need to function and worry about the rest when I need those features. So, at a minimum, you need to decide where you want to store your photos and then import them. After that, I would make a list of the things that you want to do with them, and learn them first. You could probably find specific videos related to the items that you put on your list as LRC still has many of the same commands as older versions of LR before it was renamed Classic. And if things are still feeling a bit overwhelming, then I would recommend watching several videos that walk you though the modules. This might be a good primer before you hire a tutor.

Good luck,

--Ken

In essence, @Replytoken is correct. Don't try to learn everything all at once - it is overwhelming. However, starting off on the right foot is important in many regards and the answer varies from person to person as everyone not only has different needs but everyone also views the world differently. So, there is rarely a one-size-fits all answer. For example in choosing a file structure for your images there are really onle 2 or 3 basic approaches that people tend to use (with minor variances). You need to find the one that willwork best for your needs and your way of thinking about things. Tutorials or Youtube videos tend to push one method or approach which that particular author or podcasterprefers so if you watch severl you many times wind up with conficlting reccomendations. A consultant or tutor can ask you questions about your needs and help you pick the the best approach that will work the best for you.

But as you said, you don't need to know all the bells ans whistles. You just need to know how to do the few things the fit your needs . I would suggest that those are
  1. Come up with a backup strategy if you don't already have one
  2. Decide on a folder strategy that works for you, or just let LrC put images in date folders, then learn who to do it
  3. Decide if you need to rate your images so you can find your better or best images without having to deal with all the others
  4. Decide if you need a flexible method of putting images into groupings or finding images with specific characteristics that have meaning to you and then how to do it (This would be using collections and/or keywords). Or, if you have so few images that this is not needed and just scrolling through your entire set of images is just fine, then decide to skip it.
  5. On the image editing side (Develop Module), you should probably learn about a handfull of sliders in the Basic Panel and that may be all you need and if you find a need for something more targeted or powerful learn that later as each requirement shows up.
  6. And then the last think on the "basics" list is to learn how to export images you want to email to people, post in websites, or even print.
Depending on how you learn best you may want to watch viedos, read tutorials on specific topics, read a comprehensive book, join a camera club where folks are willing to hep, keep asking questions on forums, or hire a tutor for a few hours.

Hope that helps.

Dan

In essence, @Replytoken is correct. Don't try to learn everything all at once - it is overwhelming. However, starting off on the right foot is important in many regards and the answer varies from person to person as everyone not only has different needs but everyone also views the world differently. So, there is rarely a one-size-fits all answer. For example in choosing a file structure for your images there are really onle 2 or 3 basic approaches that people tend to use (with minor variances). You need to find the one that willwork best for your needs and your way of thinking about things. Tutorials or Youtube videos tend to push one method or approach which that particular author or podcasterprefers so if you watch severl you many times wind up with conficlting reccomendations. A consultant or tutor can ask you questions about your needs and help you pick the the best approach that will work the best for you.

But as you said, you don't need to know all the bells ans whistles. You just need to know how to do the few things the fit your needs . I would suggest that those are
  1. Come up with a backup strategy if you don't already have one
  2. Decide on a folder strategy that works for you, or just let LrC put images in date folders, then learn who to do it
  3. Decide if you need to rate your images so you can find your better or best images without having to deal with all the others
  4. Decide if you need a flexible method of putting images into groupings or finding images with specific characteristics that have meaning to you and then how to do it (This would be using collections and/or keywords). Or, if you have so few images that this is not needed and just scrolling through your entire set of images is just fine, then decide to skip it.
  5. On the image editing side (Develop Module), you should probably learn about a handfull of sliders in the Basic Panel and that may be all you need and if you find a need for something more targeted or powerful learn that later as each requirement shows up.
  6. And then the last think on the "basics" list is to learn how to export images you want to email to people, post in websites, or even print.
Depending on how you learn best you may want to watch viedos, read tutorials on specific topics, read a comprehensive book, join a camera club where folks are willing to hep, keep asking questions on forums, or hire a tutor for a few hours.

Hope that helps.

Dan
Just want to add that this forum is nothing if not a great big Photo Club full of helpful and knowledgeable people.

I'm working to learn LRC but know I have a long way to go = I do NOT need all the bells and whistles, but do need to develop a familiarity with it and how it works. I do have the ebooks but think either a class or tutor to work with on the topic might help. I have seen info on the web ref Lightroom classes by Zoom or tutors or whatever, but would appreciate any wisdom as to reliable source for video instruction [maybe initially] and if needed, live handholding and instruction. Thanks
Lightroom Classic is a very unique and powerful application and functions differently than other applications designed to manage and render raw images from Digital Cameras.
My recommendation is to develop a very clear understanding of how the LrC Catalog file functions, it is the heart of the system.
In this forum under the Blog section there are a series of articles that starts with one at the following link, https://www.lightroomqueen.com/what-is-a-lightroom-catalog/
explaining how the Catalog functions and in my mind are critical to developing a strategy moving forward.

Last edited:
It's a good idea in learning LR to start small. I'd suggest creating a small catalog of photos that aren't in your main catalog. Or, if you want to work on some that are in your main catalog, export copies of those images, then import those copies. This will leave your originals untouched. With a small and separate catalog, you can fiddle around to your heart's content without doing damage or creating problems with your existing catalog. Once you feel more comfortable with LR's features, you can go back to the main catalog.

It's a good idea in learning LR to start small. I'd suggest creating a small catalog of photos that aren't in your main catalog. Or, if you want to work on some that are in your main catalog, export copies of those images, then import those copies. This will leave your originals untouched. With a small and separate catalog, you can fiddle around to your heart's content without doing damage or creating problems with your existing catalog. Once you feel more comfortable with LR's features, you can go back to the main catalog.
I, too, often recommend this approach as it then becomes impossible to "screw anything up" permanently since the files and catalog are essentially disposable.

--Ken

1. Grasp the concept that the Lr catalog is a database about your images and does not Contain your images.
2. Using a small test database is best. Send an email to yourself with the name and location of your main catalog and your your test catalog. Finding previously used catalogs can be confusing.
3. It is best to use a single main catalog (other than a test catalog for trial / training) and you must have a really really good reason to justify a multi catalog strategy.
4. Early in the process, decide where you are going to store your images, what folder structure / file-naming strategy to adopt and how to import your images to achieve this structure.
5. Understand why you may need to export images and why it is a good idea to start with an export preset to create jpgs for web and email use. Make a conscious decision where you store exported images (I store mine in a sub folder of the main or raw image, configured in my export preset. Decide if you wish to keep exported images in your catalog (this is a setting in the export screen). There is no correct / incorrect answer. It depends on your own workflow and use of Lr. You can create export presets for other purposes later (eg for sending images to a printing service).
6. Learn a few keyboard shortcuts. Start with D for develop, G for grid, L for Loupe, R for Crop.
7. Learn how to use stars to rate your images and select your images. Learn how to use keywords, colours, and other tools to find images or store more info re your images.

Your most efficient workflow will evolve over time, relative to the volume of images you work with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back