• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Do you still use Lightroom classic for the web gallery function?

Status
Not open for further replies.

studio_2

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Classic
Lightroom Version Number
LR Classic
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
Hi guys
I almost never use lightroom (the cc version) and always rely on lightroom classic but was just wondering if there’s any use of the web module on LR classic given how immensely easier is to now share web galleries via Lightroom? Also you can use your cc space and it’s much more straightforward.
Or am I missing something?

I don't think your missing anything but I would suggest it's your own preference. Personally, I use LrC and keep all my photo's on my PC and don't utilize any of Adobe's cloud features. Each to his own.

I hardly go in there. Last time I checked it looked like you could share via Flickr or Smugmug? Where else can you share? I have been using Portfolio since 2017.

I don't think your missing anything but I would suggest it's your own preference. Personally, I use LrC and keep all my photo's on my PC and don't utilize any of Adobe's cloud features. Each to his own.
It is impossible to get your actual files into the cloud using LrC so I think the ones that go through the Web module would be Smart Previews that don't even count for cloud space usage. There is a sync option in the web module but I've sync elsewhere and I know that just sends smart previews. I also prefer local file storage so I've never installed Lightroom or Lr.

It is impossible to get your actual files into the cloud using LrC so I think the ones that go through the Web module would be Smart Previews that don't even count for cloud space usage. There is a sync option in the web module but I've sync elsewhere and I know that just sends smart previews. I also prefer local file storage so I've never installed Lightroom or Lr.

Actually, if I am not wrong, the Web Module is a view of your images stored in the Adobe Cloud. If these were originated in Lr, then they would be full size instead of the Smart Previews sent from LrC.

The easiest way to get images into the Portfolio web environment is using Lr which has direct album links to Portfolio. Even Portfolio probably presents smart previews unless you ask for a download and then it creates an exported file from the original and develop settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Actually, if I am not wrong, the Web Module is a view of your images stored in the Adobe Cloud. If these were originated in Lr, then they would be full size instead of the Smart Previews sent from LrC.

The easiest way to get images into the Portfolio web environment is using Lr which has direct album links to Portfolio. Even Portfolio probably presents smart previews unless you ask for a download and then it creates an exported file from the original and develop settings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I see. I just use LrC, export files to my desktop and then download those jpegs to Portfolio.

Last edited by a moderator:
Even Portfolio probably presents smart previews unless you ask for a download and then it creates an exported file from the original and develop settings.
You'll have to tell me where they've hidden that download option in Portfolio. I've looked high and low for one, but never located it. The best I can get is the right-click>Save Image As option (if that option is not disabled in the user's Portfolio settings), which produces a low-quality Jpeg which is max 1920 pixels on the long edge on my 1920 x 1200 monitor. I'm not sure what size images Lightroom sends to Portfolio, though I suspect even when the source image is an original (as all mine are in the cloud) that only a lower-resolution jpeg is sent (thus edits are already baked-in).

I see. I just use LrC, export files to my desktop and then download those jpegs to Portfolio.
My workflow is to create a LrC Collection, Sync that Collection as an Album to Lr and add the Album as an integration to Portfolio.

My workflow is to create a LrC Collection, Sync that Collection as an Album to Lr and add the Album as an integration to Portfolio.
I was aware of the collections method but never got around to trying it. Thanks

the Web Module is a view of your images stored in the Adobe Cloud.

The Web module does something different, unrelated to the Lightroom cloud: It creates a set of HTML pages and exported photos for uploading to a hosted web site:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/creating-web-galleries-basic-workflow.html

It dates back to when many more people hosted their own web sites for displaying their photos. Though I'm sure there are many among the hundreds of thousands of LR users who still use the Web module, I think its mainstream use was superseded years ago by photo platforms like Flickr, Smugmug, Zenfolio, Lightroom Cloud, Portfolio, etc. I'm surprised Adobe still pretends to support it.

Last edited:
The Web module does something different, unrelated to the Lightroom cloud: It creates a set of HTML pages and exported photos for uploading to a hosted web site:
https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/help/creating-web-galleries-basic-workflow.html

It dates back to when many more people hosted their own web sites for displaying their photos. Though I'm sure there are many among the hundreds of thousands of LR users who still use the Web module, I think it's mainstream use was superseded years ago by photo platforms like Flickr, Smugmug, Zenfolio, Lightroom Cloud, Portfolio, etc. I'm surprised Adobe still pretends to support it.
Thanks for the info.

It dates back to when many more people hosted their own web sites for displaying their photos. Though I'm sure there are many among the hundreds of thousands of LR users who still use the Web module, I think its mainstream use was superseded years ago by photo platforms like Flickr, Smugmug, Zenfolio, Lightroom Cloud, Portfolio, etc. I'm surprised Adobe still pretends to support it.
My main problem with that module is that it creates static web pages. How many people still use a static HTML website rather than a website based on some CMS like WordPress?…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back