• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

How do I use Lightroom Classic on my laptop when I go on vacation? - Issue when try to Import from catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gargoy

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic Version: 12.2.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Unable to import 'Travel Catalog' to 'Master Catalogue'. Follow the instructions step by step from the "Travel Workflow using Lr Classic" blog but when it comes to step6 "...select the Ircat file and press Choose". there are no items to match and the Import from Catalog dialog box doesn't appear.
Interestingly, if I choose the main Lr file then the dialogue box appears but the 'import' selection is greyed out.

Previous to step 6, everything appears to be in order.

Can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Solution
After have loaded the Lr files from laptop to PC and re-linked images to the Travel Catalog, these screenshots are from where I try to 'Import from Another Catalog' and navigate to the Ircat file. After which the pop-up 'import from catalog' dialog does not appear. Thoughts?
Try selecting the bottommost file in your second screenshot, which is the .lrcat file (Windows is hiding the extension).
Post screenshots of the problem so we can see what you are doing wrong.

Hi Johan.
Sure!
After have loaded the Lr files from laptop to PC and re-linked images to the Travel Catalog, these screenshots are from where I try to 'Import from Another Catalog' and navigate to the Ircat file. After which the pop-up 'import from catalog' dialog does not appear. Thoughts?
2023-03-25 17_56_18-MasterCatalog-v12 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Library.jpg
2023-03-25 17_57_30-Import from Lightroom Catalog.jpg
2023-03-25 17_58_07-Import from Lightroom Catalog.jpg

Try selecting the bottommost file in your second screenshot, which is the .lrcat file (Windows is hiding the extension).

Solution
This may to be helpful but for future events. When I travel I create a new catalogue based on the trip. I keep the catalogue on the HD and files are on a portable ED. When I get home I copy the catalogue to the ED, plug it into the desktop and use the Import from another catalogue command. It moves the files over as well. I then move the files into the powered ED.

This may to be helpful but for future events. When I travel I create a new catalogue based on the trip. I keep the catalogue on the HD and files are on a portable ED. When I get home I copy the catalogue to the ED, plug it into the desktop and use the Import from another catalogue command. It moves the files over as well. I then move the files into the powered ED.

Before I started using Lr Cloudy on travel, this is the process that I used. My travel catalog was a copy of my master Catalog minus images. While traveling, I imported image into a sub folder on my travel catalog folder. On return, I only had to copy or move the travel catalog and sub folders to the EHD and then use the “Import for another Catalog” when in my Master Catalog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before I started using Lr Cloudy on travel, this is the process that I used. My travel catalog was a copy of my master Catalog minus images. While traveling, I imported image into a sub folder on my travel catalog folder. On return, I only had to copy or move the travel catalog and sub folders to the EHD and then use the “Import for another Catalog” when in my Master Catalog

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Interesting.

That has done the trick. The file labeled Ircat is not the correct file, although it appears to be the obvious one when Windows hides the extensions. Thank you so much!

That has done the trick. The file labeled Ircat is not the correct file, although it appears to be the obvious one when Windows hides the extensions. Thank you so much!
That file is labelled .lrcat-data, which is not the same as .lrcat. Strange that Windows hides some extensions, but not all.

That file is labelled .lrcat-data, which is not the same as .lrcat. Strange that Windows hides some extensions, but not all.
So far as Windows is concerned, files can (and typically do) have extensions, but folders do not.

The .lrcat-data is a folder - Windows always displays folder names in full, even if they have "an extension".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back