• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Step to Next Image or Previous Image following Delete

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marc C.

Lightroom Version Number
Lightroom Classic version 12.1
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
Maybe I've been missing something here, but I would like to enable Lightroom Classic to automatically step forward to Next Image or step back to Previous Image after an image or block of images is deleted from a timeline.

I assume you mean the filmstrip? Lightroom Classic does not have a timeline. If the selected image is removed from the filmstrip, then the next image should automatically become the selected image. Does that not work for you?

If I select Remove Photo > Remove from Lightroom, then the next image is displayed, but if I select Remove Photo > Delete from Disk > Permanently Delete Files, then the next image is not displayed. No photo is selected.

I'm not seeing that behavior (LrC 12.2.1 on Windows/10). I selected an image in the grid, pressed the backspace key, selected "Delete from Disk". It removed the image from the grid and the next image to the right became the active image. So, a couple of questions.....

1) What source did you have slected? A single folder? Several Folders? A special Collecion such as "All Photographs" or "Previous Import"? Some other regular collection? A smart Collection? Etc. (before some of you reply that you can't delete from disk when using a collecton as the source, yes you can with the use of some modifier keys - and very limber fingers).

2) What is the sort order of your grid?

3) are you deleting either the first or last image being displayed?

4) How do you engage the "delete" operation?

Maybe something will become apparent with your anwsers.

If you want us to try and figure out what is happening, please answer the questions. Repeating what you said in the first post does not provide any new information.

Please answer all 4 questions. To clarify #4, Do you right select the image then hit the backspace key, or the delete key or do you use a selection, right click on the image and select "remove image" or something else.

1: I am selecting a single image from an active filmstrip.
2: I am in Develop mode.
3: No.
4: See below

To clarify, here is my exact sequence within Develop mode

Develop Mode > right click on Image > click Remove Photo... > click Delete From Disk > click Permanently Delete File

1: I am selecting a single image from an active filmstrip.

Develop Mode > right click on Image > click Remove Photo... > click Delete From Disk > click Permanently Delete File
The Filmstrip shows the thumbnails of all the images in the currently selected source. We're just trying to establish what your source is in order to try to recreate the issue.

Could you post a screenshot of the actual last option (Permanently Delete File)....I know my memory is beginning to play tricks on me, but I can't recall ever seeing that option. "Delete From Disk" is always the last part of my image deletion process, so I'm curious about why you are seeing something extra.

Thank you for clarifying. I hadn't realized you were in the Develop Module rather than Library Module. I cannot duplicate your problem either. I assume that your filmstrip is sorted by file name or capture date (question 2). When I delete an image the next one in the filmstrip becomes the active image. However, you say that in your case no image is the active image after the delete.

Can I assume that when you do the delete, only the one ( active) image showing in the central area is selected and hyou don't have others selected as well?

Can I also assume that none of the images are in stacks?

Does the single folder you have selected as the source contain any subfolders and if so, what is your setting for "Include subfolders"?

Images are sorted by capture time, none of the images are in stacks, and there are no subfolders to the selected source folder.

To repeat. If I right click Remove Photo... then click >>>Remove from Lightroom<<<, the image is removed and the previous image in the filmstrip is displayed.

The only wildcard here is my image folders live on a LAN Windows server.

The Filmstrip shows the thumbnails of all the images in the currently selected source. We're just trying to establish what your source is in order to try to recreate the issue.

Could you post a screenshot of the actual last option (Permanently Delete File)....I know my memory is beginning to play tricks on me, but I can't recall ever seeing that option. "Delete From Disk" is always the last part of my image deletion process, so I'm curious about why you are seeing something extra.

Attachments

• LR11.jpg
    LR11.jpg
    365.1 KB · Views: 52
  • LR1.JPG
    LR1.JPG
    228.6 KB · Views: 54
If I select Remove Photo > Remove from Lightroom, then the next image is displayed, but if I select Remove Photo > Delete from Disk > Permanently Delete Files, then the next image is not displayed. No photo is selected.
To repeat. If I right click Remove Photo... then click >>>Remove from Lightroom<<<, the image is removed and the previous image in the filmstrip is displayed.
I'm not sure it's relevent to the solution, but at one point you said that after the delete, "No Photo is selected" and then later in a subsequent post you said "the previous image is displayed". I'm not sure how to interpret these two statements. Are you saying that no images are selected in the film strip (none are highlighted) but the previous image shows up in the central area even though it is not selected in the filmstrip?

At this point, I'm leaning to our generic fall back position when nothing else makes sense and will suggest that you reset your preferences file. You can read how to do this here....https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/

Dan

There are two delete modes in Lr. One removes an image or images from the Lr catalog, the other removes an image or images from the hard drive. When I delete an image from my Lr catalog, the image is removed and the previous image in the filmstrip is displayed. When I delete an image from the disk using Remove Photo... > Delete from Disk > Permanently Delete Files, the next image is not displayed, and the message No photo is selected is displayed.

I would think it's that extra step in the process when the recycle bin on the target volume is not enabled that causes the problem. If the initial "Delete from Disk" is successful, then I think you would see that the next or previous filmstrip image would be selected. It may be a bug that it doesn't happen in your specific situation (I'll try to setup a test on my old Windows system to see if I can reproduce), so might be worth reporting to Adobe via the link at the top of the page.

I hadn't realized you were in the Develop Module rather than Library Module.
Is there a way to delete (permanently or not) an image from within Develop. I have always thought I had to go back to Library to accomplish a deletion.

Yes? No?

Yea. I'm not on LrC right now (fraveling) but as I recall if your source is a collection then the delete\backspace removes from the collection rather than deletes from disk. If your source is a folder then it either removes from catalog or removes from catalog and deletes from disk (your choice in popup).

However, even if your source is a collection, holding down Ctrl+Alt+shift (Win), or Cmd+Opt+Shift whkle you press the Delete/backspace will delete from disk.

Again, from memory I'm pretty sure I'm correct in Library Module, so give it a try in develop.

I just verified that the same delete commands, including Cmd/Ctrl Alt Shift Delete/Backspace, are available in Develop as in Library.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back