• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Lightroom classic mask color overlays not showing up

Status
Not open for further replies.

nkawoods

Premium Classic Member
Premium Cloud Member
Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
12.1 Release
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
Suddenly the color mask overlays in Lightroom Classic isn't working on one of my computers. If I select an overlay option other than a color overlay (e.g., "Image on Black") the masks are visible. I prefer using the color overlays so I can view the rest of the photo. I tried switching off the "Use Graphics Processor" option in Lightroom preferences as suggested in a post on this issue in one of the Adobe forums, but it had no effect.

I have two MacBook Pros, both running the same version of Monterey OS and Lightroom Classic. On one the color overlay works fine. Any ideas about what the issue could be? Since the computers don't mirror each other there could be some other random preference causing the problem.

There are a couple of factors that control the mask overlays- So yo might find an answer in the Overlay settings-
There is the menu on the Tool bar-
2023-02-05 04_13_40-Roberts Catalog-v12 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic - Develop.jpg

And then the Overlay 'color' features where it is possible to have a white overlay (thus not visible), or have the 'Opacity' set so low as to also be invisible.
2023-02-05 04_11_39-Clipboard.jpg

Also toggle through the Overlay 'color' with the keyboard shortcuts-
[O] to toggle overlay on/off [Show Overlay]
[SHIFT+O] To toggle through the preset Custom colors.

Thanks Rob, but I’ve tried all the different colors multiple times, including using the color picker. Nothing happens. I assume It’s a related issue, I also can’t see the pin when I toggle a mask on and off. But as I mentioned, the masks are there. I see the changes in the masked areas when I change the exposure settings, and if I switch to white on black or black on white it reflects the masked area.

I’m going to contact Adobe and will post the results here, hopefully a solution.

As Rob mentions below, if you click on the three dots to the right of where you check the box to "Show Overlay", a menu comes up where you choose what kind of overlay (Color, Black on White, etc.), if you want to toggle the overlay automatically, when you want the pins to show, etc. At the bottom of this menu is "Color Overlay Settings". I finally clicked on that and discovered that in addition to choosing what color you want the overlay to be, there is also a slider where you set the opacity of the overlay. I had that slider set all the way to zero.

There are a couple of factors that control the mask overlays- So yo might find an answer in the Overlay settings-
There is the menu on the Tool bar-
View attachment 20291
And then the Overlay 'color' features where it is possible to have a white overlay (thus not visible), or have the 'Opacity' set so low as to also be invisible.
View attachment 20292
Also toggle through the Overlay 'color' with the keyboard shortcuts-
[O] to toggle overlay on/off [Show Overlay]
[SHIFT+O] To toggle through the preset Custom colors.
I should have read your response more closely, you were absolutely right! I had the opacity set to zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back