• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

Question about "Overwrite Settings"

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsinsf

Lightroom Experience
Advanced
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 12 Monterey
OK, now that I know the difference between Save and Save As, I have a question about this pop up. Because I want my edited photos on a different hard drive and in a different folder than in my LR catalog, I always open them via Lightroom into Photoshop, and then when I’m finished editing I use Save As. I’ve noticed that the edited changes that I’ve made in Photoshop appear into Lightroom shortly after. But I notice an exclamation point over the original Raw photo in the film strip in Lightroom and then this message appears.
Could someone please explain to me what this step accomplishes if Lightroom has already received the changes I made in Photoshop?

1675112914806.png

Lightroom is seeing the changes in the actual file (and shows them)

This is saying the metadata has changed. In your scenario this likely just means the file date (modified) has changed. Overwrite will write the Lightroom metadata to the file, Import takes it from the disk.

Thank you for answering the question. So in my case, since LR already has the changes I have made to the photo, and the only thing it is missing is having the correct modified date, if I don't care about that bit of metadata (I don't) then I can just ignore the little question mark over the photo in the film strip?

Yes, or Overwrite if you are happy with the Lightroom settings. The one time to not (as in Import) is if you've done something in another program that you want Lr to know (Star Rating in ACR for example, although that's not the place you'd do it!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back