• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.

Keywords

Status
Not open for further replies.

sh1209

Lightroom Version Number
Operating System
  1. macOS 13 Ventura
Are Lightroom keywords necessary anymore? The reason I ask is, since I started using Lightroom mobile in conjunction with Lightroom classic I just used synced collections. I find this works better for me since I use the two programs together and saves a lot of time. I mostly shoot wildlife and nature photos and have many collections that categorizes my images making them very easy to find. When I used to use key wording I found it to be very time consuming and frankly aggravating to do. Just curious if any others have implemented this workflow and if you’re glad you don’t do key wording anymore.

In many regards, Keywords and Collections can serve the same purpose. However, there are significant differences which may or may not be important to any individual. You are right that KW's can be time consuming - especially in the beginning before your set of keywords is fleshed out. But organizing Collections into collection sets can be equally time consuming. Also some operations in LrC just are more convenient with Keywords while other operations are more convenient with Collections. Keywords are also real metadta and can travel with exported or shared photos whereas collections cannot. Once you export an image, what collection or collections it was in is not carried in the exported image's metadata unless you use some tool to add the list of collections as keywords.

The big advantage of keywords is they can be used in programs other than LR. I can search by keywords on my website gallery or using a different program such as Photo Mechanic.

Your keywords don't need to be perfect - just a step in the right direction. I have a keyword library that includes the common name, scientific name, and in some cases the shorthand notation.

And keywords are great for compound indexing. Say you want all the pictures of Juan and Sarah in SanDiego. And as mentioned above, they export! For example, I publish on SmugMug, and I can use the keywords in smart gallery definitions. They're a bunch of work, but for me at least, the payoff is worth it.

Those with a scientific background (engineering in my case), that have dealt with database systems, would find nested keywords a natural fit. I couldn't imagine using anything else for what I do. However, as I understand it, professional photography is about clients and photo shoots. I could well imagine collections, albums, lists, folders etc. might be more practical.

Those with a scientific background (engineering in my case), that have dealt with database systems, would find nested keywords a natural fit. I couldn't imagine using anything else for what I do. However, as I understand it, professional photography is about clients and photo shoots. I could well imagine collections, albums, lists, folders etc. might be more practical.
Actually that's a good example of where keywords might be helpful. You could keyword location, weather, wardrobe, client name, or even the stylist, and other people involved.

I also find nested keywords very helpful. You can even use collections as a way to further keyword files.

I had to find a file recently using only the name of a dog that was photographed 6-10 years ago. Luckily I had the name in the keywords and found it and the rest of a folder of images in seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back