• Welcome to the Lightroom Queen Forums! We're a friendly bunch, so please feel free to register and join in the conversation. If you're not familiar with forums, you'll find step by step instructions on how to post your first thread under Help at the bottom of the page. You're also welcome to download our free Lightroom Quick Start eBooks and explore our other FAQ resources.
  • Stop struggling with Lightroom! There's no need to spend hours hunting for the answers to your Lightroom Classic questions. All the information you need is in Adobe Lightroom Classic - The Missing FAQ!

To help you get started, there's a series of easy tutorials to guide you through a simple workflow. As you grow in confidence, the book switches to a conversational FAQ format, so you can quickly find answers to advanced questions. And better still, the eBooks are updated for every release, so it's always up to date.
  • Dark mode now has a single preference for the whole site! It's a simple toggle switch in the bottom right-hand corner of any page. As it uses a cookie to store your preference, you may need to dismiss the cookie banner before you can see it. Any problems, please let us know!

will LR treat an APU like a GPU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reach

Lightroom Experience
Intermediate
Lightroom Version
Lightroom Version Number
"latest". Adobe runs upgrades in the background.
Operating System
  1. Windows 10
  2. Windows 11
I'm about to build a new PC and several clever people claim that an APU is plenty powerful for my needs.
I'd be looking at the AMD R7 5700G CPU.
Would LR recognize an APU as a external GPU? I mean in the sense that this dialog allows me full graphics acceleration (sorry for the German, but I guess you know what it means):
lightroom.png

I currently have a GPU and I could as well keep it. An APU would just be to de-clutter the system. Less power, less heat, better airflow...

Note: I'm not after the ultimate LR performance. I just would like to have those things running on GPU for the better speed.

An APU is just a single chip that has an embedded CPU and GPU on the same die. This has some performance improvement, and is mostly known for the reduced power requirements to match the same performance. Intel has their own solution also, lots of debate about which is faster, but last I looked Intel was not close on the energy efficiency.

So, what you need to determine is the specific APU you are considering, what is the actual GPU embedded, and how much does LrC utilize it.
Note: APUs share graphics and main memory. Therefore, you will need a lot more main memory. For example, I have 32GB of main memory and 12GB video memory on a dedicated video card with the AMD 6700 chipset. Using some AMD software tools, I have found that I often am pushing 10GB of memory driving both of my 4K screens (one HDR 10bit, other 8bit).

Tim

For sure all you say is correct, but not exactly the answer I was looking for.
You are talking about performance tweaks of better vs. weaker GPUs. But to my understanding the biggest boost is the utilisation of the GPU itself. No matter how good that is. I mean this configuration I have shown in my post above.
To my understanding, I might even have 128GB of RAM with an AMD R7 5700G, but if LR doesn't acknowledge this as a proper GPU, it won't allow me to unlock the "full graphics acceleration", therefore it will fall back to the CPU.

So that's my question: will LR accept the AMD R7 5700G's graphics chip as GPU?

As said, I'm not after ultimate performance, but LR doesn't like the Fuji sensors, so many of my pictures require the "enhance details" feature to avoid this "worms" effect, and here the difference between CPU and GPU is drastic. I think, as soon as the GPU is used, it should be fast enough for smooth usage (as it is now, with my rather weak 1050ti)

I know that Lightroom recognizes the integrated GPU in Intel chips. It did on my old MacBook Pro. Newer versions are getting more picky however. Whether or not it will recognize this specific AMD chip will be hard to say, unless there is somebody here who actually has tried it,

LR makes good use of the integrated GPU on the CPU. That has been tested and proven many times over with the new Intel 12th and 13th gen CPUs with integrated IRIS graphics. I'm sure that is true with AMD chips also.

But listen, don't be the only Human Being on Planet Earth that builds his own rig and does not slap in a graphics card. Well, Bob didn't either but probably will add one soon. GPUs are tumbling in price. If you are about to build a new rig you need to add one. Just do it. Don't overthink it.

Integrated graphics are for 13 inch really thin laptops if you ask me. When you build a rig you add a GPU. That's the rule Man.

But listen, all joking aside. integrated graphics on CPUs is getting light years better than it was before with both Intel and AMD, so there is that. But please add a GPU if you build. Come on now....

LR makes good use of the integrated GPU on the CPU. That has been tested and proven many times over with the new Intel 12th and 13th gen CPUs with integrated IRIS graphics. I'm sure that is true with AMD chips also.

But listen, don't be the only Human Being on Planet Earth that builds his own rig and does not slap in a graphics card. Well, Bob didn't either but probably will add one soon. GPUs are tumbling in price. If you are about to build a new rig you need to add one. Just do it. Don't overthink it.

Integrated graphics are for 13 inch really thin laptops if you ask me. When you build a rig you add a GPU. That's the rule Man.

But listen, all joking aside. integrated graphics on CPUs is getting light years better than it was before with both Intel and AMD, so there is that. But please add a GPU if you build. Come on now....
Current generation, new GPU cards are still extremely expensive.

@reach, May I suggest that you also post your question in these forums:

https://hardforum.com/forums/video-cards.3/ (and notice the subforums for nVidia and AMD products)
https://www.tenforums.com/drivers-hardware/
https://www.tenforums.com/graphic-cards/

and read some of the articles in this forum
https://www.tomshardware.com/topics/gpus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back